Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Droserae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe D. admirabilis has been raised to species status.

D. coccicaulis has significant differences from venusta to be kept separate. Whether this requires species status or not I'm not sure but don't change your labels!

I also have two distinct forms of D. nidiformis. One is smaller. one os redder and the flower size and colour is different.

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg,

Wooo Hooo!!!! A resounding welcome to you and my personal thanks for joining the forum! I need all the help I can get on this topic, and your experience will be a Godsend to us all.

Do you happen to know the publication that raises D. admirabilis to species status, or can you provide any insight as to when this happened? It is still listed as a synonym for D. cuneifolia in the CP Database, or was the last I looked.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do a bit of searching on the D. admirabilis. My memory doesn't serve me too well on this.

I had a look at some of my hybrids today, D. admirabilis x capensis red is growing slow but promises to be a good looking plant. D. madagascariensis x deilsiana is fast growing and there appear to be a few good looking clones. Still too early to get real excited but.......

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg,

Check the 13th and 19th post of the second page of this thread. Stefan mentions that D.coccicaulis=venusta and explains his reasoning.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion with D.glabripes. A couple of nursuries in the US have sold D."glabripes" from Triffid Parks, which you mention is D.glabripes x aliciae. I have always suspected that the glabripes in my collection is a hybrid as the lamina is very wide and does that match the photo of Martin's glabripes(posted on the 14th post of the second page of this thread). I have seen some "glabripe" photos on the webpages of US growers and none look like the real thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin

The pic of D. glabripes looks like D. glabripes! though my plants are lighter coloured.

Where's Stefan?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] Keep your D. coccicaulis plants as coccicaulis. There are fairly significant differences in flower structure between venusta and coccicaulis. I'll dig out the article Rob Gibson wrote. I have clones of this plant from Stefan which are slightly different in colouration to mine so when they flower I will compare them. Does anyone have D. venusta seed for trade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day everyone,
    I have a couple of questions regarding 2 South African species which I hope that someone can help me out with.
    Firstly, I have a D. pauciflora which is producing its first flowerscape since I have had the plant. Does this species elf-pollinate or must I pollinate the plant myself.
    Secondly, I have some seeds of D. cuneifolia and was wondering the best time to sow these and if anyone recommends pretreatment of any kind. Bear in mind that I am in Australia and it is the middle of winter at the moment.
    This is my first post on the forum and I look forward to posting many more.
    Thanks in advance,

Sean. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forum Seandew (clever name&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]! I hope someone might assist you with your questions as I have no experience with either of these species.

Hopefully Greg will have something to offer you regarding this since he is in your neck of the woods.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg, try posting the trade request for D. venusta on the trade forum, you might get more responses. BTW Robert felt my D. "coccicaulis" plants were D. "venusta". I remain fairly unconvinced that there is a significant difference, and feel these are local variations of D. natalensis (there are many such) and these names are used to differentiate them instead of using the location data (which would be far more useful). From my impressions, there are differences in appearance that are worth seggregating, and this is another case where registering such as cultivars would be a great service to the CP community.

Thanks for confirmingthe D. glabripes, I was sure this was true species. The taxonomy on this one is fairly straight forward.

Anyone interested in the Robert Gibson article mentioned by Greg please email me and I can help you out with that.
    tamlindd@yahoo.com
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast