Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Droserae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen,

Thanks for the photo, it is a very beautiful plant regardless of what it is named! Here are my thoughts. I think your plant conforms more to what I have seen around as venusta, based on the longer petioles and overall coloration. Coccicaulis maintains a golden coloration even when in full sun, and its shorter petioles gives the whole plant a more compact form.

Also coccicaulis has a flange of tissue along the margins on the lower third of each leaf, giving the leaf a slight bulge at its base, similar to what D. slackii has if you are familiar with this species.

Venusta has marked similarities to the natalensis forms, and I feel that coccicaulis appears morhologicaly closer to dielsiana, than to natalensis.

If anyone else has either of these two so named plants in their collections it would be very good to see them. Please post your photos.

I welcome any thoughts or critique. Remember, this is all opinion and there is no right or wrong, and the more we can see the better.

I encourage any comments or critique of my opinion.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete,

I am always interested in seed, certainly, but even more interested in the exploring of consensus among various growers of these plants!

You planted the seed of this idea in my brain, and I thought this might be an easy way to gather the data in one place where it might be easily reviewed by those more expert than I.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin (and everyone else too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ),

I have one small seedling of seed I got labeled d. madagascariensis. I gave some seed to Ivan and he said the seed looked like sp. rhodesia. It is still to small for a picture to do much good.

A while back I sent you some mature sp. rhodesia plants, did these make it? Mine sadly withered away after a little while.

From what I saw of these plants they definetaly looked like a subspecies of d. madagascariensis. I have also often seen references of d. madagascariensis ssp. rhodesia or var. rhodesia. What are your thoughts on the subject? I currently also have young plantlets of d. madagascariensis and d. madagascariensis 'botswana' (or sp. 'botswana' ?).

One the subject of venusta/coccicaulis... a few months ago you sent me several packets of seed, one labeled coccicaulis. One week later you emailed saying it was actually most likely venusta. Either way, I have several small plantlets of this one.

cheers,

noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys,
    i went to a few sights some in japanese one or 2 ,may have been in french, here are the pics i got of what each of them called coccicaulis
    http://a6.cpimg.com/image/42/96/1259...-02000187-.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

Good idea. we may need to add on a way for people to upload photos if they have no webserver access themselves but the community format is great.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not fiddled much with different potting mixes. Most seem to do ok for me in a fairly course sand and peat mix. They are sitting on a bench that has a little water in it the majority of the time. Glabripes seems to give me the biggest problem. They will be doing fine and then just get some sort of root rot and turn yellow. Perhaps this species would like to dry out a little more as it has very thick fleshy roots from my experience.
    Here is a picture of the glabripes:

The 'description' I read about coccicaulis was that it was very closely related to dielsiana. But doesn't form a flat rosette. Which is what mine appears to be like.
    Here is a picture of one dielsiana I have, which is what the majority look like

All of these plants are also from Triffid Park.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah,

The plants which you sent came labeled as sp. Botswana, not sp. Rhodesia. The plants were very tall, on an ascending stem, with many brown leaves along its length. If you sent sp. Rhodesia, I never got them. The plants you sent went dormant, but came back. No flowers yet, and I anticipate another dormancy soon.

I've tried a websearch to find a photo of Sp. Botswana without success, but I am emailing you one. Let me know if this conforms to your impression of the plant.

Do the small plants labeled coccicaulis look like the plants that Tony posted? The coloration seems a good indicator as regards this. All the plants that I have seen have this golden color. I believe the seed was in fact coccicaulis, and my correction was based on the fact that coccicaulis is illegitimate, and it seemed to me closest to venusta. It seems that there is always something new to learn about the South Africans!

Anyone else have a photo of either sp. Botswana, sp. Rhodesia, or madagascariensis var. major?

Jodajo,
    Thanks for the link - this also appears to conform to what I think coccicaulis is.

Tony,
    Thanks for the nice shot of the galabripes. I just got germination (2 seedlings) so your cultural advice is very welcome.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just opened up some new headings to help keep things sorted. Lets try to start a new header for each species under discussion. Thanks again for the input!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast