What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Tamilin, that is very well explained
wow.gif
. That would be neat to visit some day (most likely some year). Interesting, learn some thing new every day.

travis

Here is an example of the variation beween "coccicaulis" and "venusta" Compare both Gardenofeden and Tony's photos with the plant called "venusta" as seen in this link:

http://www15.brinkster.com/nswcps/

You can see first hand how the form types blurr together. Greg Bourke's plant in the photo has the longer petiole like Gardenofeden's plant, and the coloration of Tony's.

The South African's are a collectors despair, and a taxonomists nightmare, but it lends a good perspective to the science of taxonomy. It is our human nature to try to catagorize, and to try to understand the whole by observing the pieces individually. The process of speciation through evolution takes place on a timescale we cannot envision. Like trying to understand a movie from seeing only a few frames, or even a thousand.

I like the idea that in South Africa at least for now, science must stand awestruck at the power of individual beauty. As a collector I am overjoyed at the thought that there will always be opportunity to experince a new form in the South African plants.

This is another great reason to share seed of these plants; you might get something new and interesting from the other grower's who have the same named plant as you. Don't just assume your natalensis or venusta or aliciae is the "real deal" and miss out on all those other potentially beautiful plants and forms (and who knows: your aliciae may be the most beautiful of all)!

Tony
I have seen glabribes in the wild and it grows in DRY scrub, scrambling through the bushes on a long stem, not in wet bogs & flushes like the other spp. perhaps you are keeping it too wet?

Yes I suspect it is too wet considering its roots look designed for water storage. I have not done alot of playing around with Drosera as my space for them is limited and catering to many different types of culture is difficult on a large commercial scale.
Tony

what is that large drosera in the pic that was in the article that tamlin posted?

thanks

Joel
biggrin.gif

Joel,
If you mean Robert Gibsons article, the plant is Drosera glabripes.

The flowers of South African Droseras are apparently very good in helping to identify the species.

My brain just popped. Suddenly the world of VFT seems very simple, lol. I am wondering, has anyone tried naming plants via seed pictures from under say an electron microscope? It seems to me that many plants may look differn't as plants according to conditions, but their seeds will remain the same. Seems like a good idea to at least try. Uh, I have to stop coming up with reserch ideas, I have 7.75 years left of school still *shutter*

Hi Darcie,

I am working on an online reference of digital micro scans of droserae seed coats in mutual research with the Senior Seed Analyst at the Idaho State Herbarium. You are right, for many species the seed is very diagnostic! An electron microscope isn't needed to see the seed details, just a good 25x lens or one of those microscopes that come in hobby packages for kids. The bad news is that for some of the South African species, the seed testa details are alike for several species (natalensis/aliciae) (nidiformis/dielsiana). Generally though seed coats are very useful: they can save a grower from wasting time on falsely identified species. The ID problem is *huge* regarding this genus, and I hope my reference will be useful to hobbiests and commercial dealers. I hope in time to expand the project to also include digital scans of the stipules, flowers and scapes which are also often used to identify the species. My challenge is to locate and confirm the ID of the seed that is being scanned by my associate. This pretty much means finding people in various countries where the plants are native that can access the populations, and provide collection data along with the needed seed. It's slow going - so far we have recorded some 20 species, and there is seed waiting to be scanned. There has been a wonderful response from most of the CP community for the work.

Hi there:

I am new to this forum, but seems everyone is talking about the south african drosera, I thought this may be a good place to ask.

I am sorry if I have changed the flow of the discussion...  But I have recently purchased 6 packets of Drosera regia seeds and have no luck of getting them germinated, can anyone help me with this?  Apparently, some chap had bought 10 packets and are not having much luck either...  However, the person who sold us the seeds is a very reliable source, he deals only in good seeds, so quality would not be an issue.

Regard

Kupo

No, it is right on topic! I have had poor success with seed, but I suspect it was due to inviable seed. Since I have little experience I did some asking. I believe the best method is to treat it pretty much as any tropical to get it to germinate, same as capensis. The problem is to get the seedlings to grab hold, they tend to die off easily.

I hesitate to give advice on this species as my experience is very limited.

Hi Kupo
I sell alot of D. regia seed as part of my business but also check each batch of D. regia seed I obtain by germinating it myself.
The key appears to be getting the newly germinated seedlings to develope a decent root system earlier on in their life. To this end I use a soil mix of 60% sand and 40 % spag moss peat, use deep seed trays, but most importantly I believe, don't use the tray method of watering. I just keep the soil damp in the same way I do for all my Petiolaris complex sundews. This method seems to 'force' the seedlings to send roots deeper to find water. I get about a 20 - 40% germiantion success rate and most grow on to maturity without any problems.
I hope this helps!
Andy Wilkinson. UK

Hi Andrew:

Thanks for the reply, but my current problem is that the seeds is not germinating at all, any suggestions on how to make this happen?

Regard

Kupo

Hi Kupo
The only thing I can add is that I germinate all my regia under artificial lights in the first instance, with a 16 hour photoperiod. Germination occurs after 4 - 8 weeks.
email me on..andy@triffidnurseries.co.uk
and I'll send you some of my seed in an attempt to raise your spirits!!!!
I suppose if it was easy, regia would be as common as capensis!!!
Andy

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (noah @ Sep. 04 2002,08:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">spatulata or some other similar "weed".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
carefull, you will anger the tiney plants of death sitting next to me. You may laph, but I have to sleep next to them o_O

Hello,

I am new to this forum but first wanted to add comments on "D. coccicaulis" and the foto of D. glabripes:
the invalid name D. coccicaulis was created by Paul Debbert, who described D. venusta. The name was created because Paul´s plants were kept in an "open greenhouse" with easy access to everybody and he created it to protect the new, still undescribed species from theft (Paul Debbert, personal communication). So all your D. coccicaulis are D. venusta.

The plant shown on the photo is not D. glabripes, D. glabripes has a very different leave shape and D. glabripes is a stem forming species with clearly visible internodes. The plant on the photo doesnot show that characteristic signs. If I ever make it to a digital camera I will post a photo of true D. glabripes.

Stefan

These are the Drosera glabripes from Andreas. Stefan, you should know, if this is the "true" glapripes.

AF_dr_glabripes.jpg

Hi Stefan,
Welcome and thanks for the update on D. coccicaulis. I can go through and relabel them D. venusta then.

No clue what the D. glabripes is then.. Evidently lots of mislabeled D. glabripes running around. Gah I hate trying to figure out what Drosera are! It came from Triffid Park if that matters. IMO misidentification is a fairly common problem there.
Tony

Back