Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Droserae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,

I know what you mean - if my D. coccicaulis is D. venusta - then what is my D. venusta ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the D. glabripes photo: this form is the same as shown in my seedlings, and a very nice photo it is.

Stefan, thanks for the inside story regarding D. coccicaulis vs venusta. Do you have any thoughts regarding the opinion that Drosera venusta is but a regional variation of Drosera natalensis?

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As these plants are on tamlins list at the beginning of this theard, i am posting 2 pics of what i have as D.burkeana and D.admirabilis.

Very nice thread by the way..

D. burkeana

D. admirabilis

Happy Gorowing,

UtricSeb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

the bogus name "D. coccicaulis" is definitely D. venusta. The name was created to name wild collected, still undescribed plants growing in a public accessible place (Paul Debbert, personal communication). So you can rename all D. coccicaulis as D. venusta. The "D. glabripes" on the foto above is not that species but probably also D. venusta.
    Tamlin: I still owe you an Email or two but my computer with your request is in repair for about a week.

Stefan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stefan,

When you say the D. glabripes in the photo.....do you mean in Martin's photo? This seems to conform to what I know of as D. glabripes, and I cannot see anything remotely similar to D. venusta in these plants! If you are referring to MArtin's photo, could you be so kind as to explain how you arrived at your determination? The South African species can be confusing, but surely not this confusing!

(I have been uncertain of everything since learning that D. nidiformis and D. dielsiana were long considered synonomous&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Please have a look at these photos, and let me know if you believe any of them are D. glabripes? I believe they are.
    http://www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com/files....rge.jpg
    (the lamina are broader than my plants, but note the stipules&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    _ http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/AF_dr_glabripes.jpg
    (these plants seem closest to what I grow as this species)
    __

I note in most of these photos the presence of fine, verticle white stipules which seems the most observationally distinct feature.

Drosera venusta I have always considered a form of D. natalensis and in habit is less caulescent, although it holds the top leaves erect. I find Tony's photo to be fairly typical of most D. venusta I have seen.

Stefan, thank you very much for your input on this subject that is very dear to my heart. I hope someday to arrive at some sort of peace with the taxonomy of the South African species, and any help is deeply appreciated!

I await your email eagerly!

[I]

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could find course sand like the pic of D. admirabilis shows. I think the fine silica I get probably compacts the soil too much.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

The coarse silica sand may be had from dealers in swimming pool and sauna supplies. The sand is used in pool filters.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I obtain my various grades of silica sand from local suppliers of sand blasting supplies. Usually about $6 for a 100# bag.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast