Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera alba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if anyone is growing this species? I just acquired seed from this South African species, and want to make the most of it. If anyone has hear of anyone else growing this species, I would be interested in an introduction.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow this plant . i recieved it ina trade but I can't remeber who i traded with . it is very easy to grow , just the same as the regulare cape sundew except it does'nt need much light .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap, I think he's talking about Drosera alba, not Drosera capensis, 'alba' form, lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Drosera alba is similar to D. cistiflora, and is another African winter grower. I can't find anyone who has this in cultivation, and I have so few seeds I want to know when is best to sow them. Guess I will treat them as any other winter growing seed and sow in late summer. I have a lot of questions regarding the possible and likely need for sun stratification (Africa has lots of sunshine in their summer).

Regarding the Drosera capensis "alba" most people I know call the red pigment free form of D. capensis by this name, but the registered cultivar's name is actually D. capensis 'Albino'. I doubt that it will ever really catch on, but it would save some confusion if it did :-)

I recently answered a post on another forum of someone offering D. alba seed, but it turned out to be D. capensis. Drosera alba is a hard to find and difficult species, not easily acquired. I guess I will have to risk a CP Listserve post (for some reason I always feel stupid asking questions there) to get some advice. Someone somewhere must be growing this plant!

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Members of the JCPS are growing D. alba. Check out JCPS meeting Pics
    Check the 2001.3.11 for a pic of D. alba. They also seem to have this is their seedbank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cpk2 thanks for that link, I sure wish there were more photos available. This is going to be a very difficult species to attempt. The D. cistiflora on the same page is awesome too! I suppose the conditions are hard for this plant: a restricted photoperiod, yet with good intense light. The summer dormancy has me concerned, but right now just learning about when to germinate the seed would be good! I just learned from another grower that seed not sown fresh often "locks up" requiring much effort to break the inhibitory enzymes locked in the seed coat. I think I am going to try to sow it now, and if it germinates, then grow it as long as I can with a short day photoperiod in an otherwise blacked out room in the cool cellar. With luck I will have my HID lighting back soon so the intensity will be there. I was also told that the key to dormancy is to " dry them out quickly, but not too quickly". Well. The opportunity is here, and I am very excited about the attempt. I am afraid that this might be one of those "learn by your mistakes" type education, but, hey, I'll take it!

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with this plant Tamlin. Keep us informed of your progress so we all learn from your experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have been edited, hee hee. I gotta know" which name did I get wrong? alba? cistaflora? My crown must be weighing on my furrowed brow again.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast