Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capensis alba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Emesis,

If the registered name is going to be used, shouldn't the species name - capensis - be left out altogether, since the database says only D. 'Albino'?

Personally I will continue to call this form D. capensis "alba" or D. capensis "white flower" though.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Christer,

According to http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3920.html

There is a common misconception about how much information is needed in specifying a cultivar name. To identify a carnivorous plant cultivar, you must provide the genus name and the cultivar name, in single quotes. That is all. For examples:
    Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack'
    Utricularia 'Yog-Sothoth'
    Pinguicula 'Libelulita'

You can provide species information if you wish, but it is not necessary. On the other hand, it is certainly not prohibited, either. So if you desired, you could write the above list as:
    Sarracenia flava x leucophylla 'Adrian Slack'
    Utricularia calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
    Pinguicula moranensis 'Libelulita'[/QUOTE]

Continuing to name the plant as-is will cause more confusing among others you might introduce the plant to. For instance, what if someone thought D. "alba" and D. 'Albino' are different plants and bought them both, only to find out that they are the same culitvar? What if your friend drops by and likes your D. "alba" plant, and continues that error when he gets one? Like Tamlin said this causes an exponential growth of error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, am I growing mine wrong? I planted them december and it took 3 weeks to sprout. Now they are .5-1cm tall MAX most are still itty bitty. It's funny though, the 'Albino' are growing almost twice as fast as the 'Typicals' and 'Reds'. Tim, I think my seed might be from your plants, do you remember? I had so many people send me seeds at once I got mixed up on who sent what.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcie,

3 weeks is not unsual to for the seeds to germinate. As summer is arriving now, your plants should grow better and faster now. If you do not make any bigger mistakes, they will most probably flower this year.

Here is a picture of the flower i took today.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote (Christian Dietz @ April 14 2003,7:17)
    Hi Darcie,

3 weeks is not unsual to for the seeds to germinate. As summer is arriving now, your plants should grow better and faster now. If you do not make any bigger mistakes, they will most probably flower this year.

Here is a picture of the flower i took today.

Higher resoultion : flower

Christian[/QUOTE]
    What mistake did I make already? I can't see any problem with them except their size. They are well colored (except the red which haven't been under the lights long enough yet), dewy, have room to grow.... Just small.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcie,

Maybe you got it wrong, because of my bad english [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. It didn't want to say, that you made a mistake. I rather meant, they will grow faster and better now, if you will not make any mistakes.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Emesis,

Thanks for clarifying that the species name can (or in my view should) be included as well, that makes more sense.

Just for arguments sake, since you brought it up: When it comes to people being disappointed that they might purchase the same plant under different names, then wouldn’t the use of D. 'Albino' be confusing as well, since someone might think that it is not a D. capensis?

I hope you did see that I was careful to include D. capensis with both "my" names, not simply D. "alba" as you wrote.

Tim, sorry for hijacking the thread, that's a fine looking plant you have!

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christer,

Let me try to clarify this more... Both D. 'Albino' and D. capensis 'Albino' are both correct taxonomically. So you can use either one.

I use D. 'Albino' here in the forums, bz I like to type less. However, in my growlist I have it listed as D. capensis 'Albino', so that there is more information associated with it. That way I can go back and track whatever parentage it has.

Another scenerio is that for a cultivar such as P. 'Aphrodite' (whose parents are P. agnata x moctezumae) this gets very lengthy to write P. agnata x moctezumae 'Aphrodite' everytime. Likewise, I include this information in my growlist, but will most likely use the shorter version when communicating.

Part of the reason of having cultivar names is to communicate better, thus the shorter name can be used as well as the longer name.

Hope that helps,

Emesis

9. Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast