Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capensis alba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Emesis,

Actually, I didn't object (in my second message) that any of the names weren't valid, I rather replied to the part where you wrote that it could cause confusion to the grower. I mean that even if you feel that D. 'Albino' will simplify things, I see this name as confusing to the general public. Personally I hope that people also will include capensis to minimize confusion.

You could say that I'm playing the devil's advocate here, since I want to pin-point that cultivar names could cause problems also (ok, I admit rarely). I have certainly no problems with hybrids with cultivar names, like P. 'Aphrodite'.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original description for Drosera 'Albino' in the CP Database is thus:
    "After "growing-on" it became obvious that one plant was unusual for it presented a white flower and not the usual pink colour. The plant was propagated further by leaf cuttings and seed and was found to breed "true" (i.e. white flowers were produced). Another and probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun."
    [/QUOTE].

As my white flowered D. capensis, and indeed nearly everyone elses, clearly do have red pigmentation in the tentacles, I'm not sure that they are 'Albino' and will stick to D. capensis var. alba as the name I use.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my white flowered D. capensis, and indeed nearly everyone elses, clearly do have red pigmentation in the tentacles[/QUOTE]

Vic,
    My white flower D. capensis have no pigmentation in their leaves or tentacles. They are, in fact, all green (with white-ish tentacles) Granted, they are under flourescents, not bright sun. That said, under the same conditions, my typical variety gets a nice reddish hugh, and my seedling all red variety are (most of them) a nice, deep maroon. I do plan on putting most of my capes outside for the summer, so I guess I will have a better idea of pigment/lack there of in my white flower variety when I get them in really strong light.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the photo at the start of the thread, there is clear red pigmentation on the tentacles, and P. D'Amato in 'The Savage Garden' mentions 'pale pink glands'. These are not mentioned in the original cultivar description, quite the opposite in fact.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using D. 'alba' may be a big mistake... There is a drosera alba that is kinda rare in cultivation, I remember william had some seed and was germanating them. Just thought I'd throw in another 23 cents [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    -Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean that even if you feel that D. 'Albino' will simplify things, I see this name as confusing to the general public. Personally I hope that people also will include capensis to minimize confusion.[/QUOTE]

Christer,

I forgot to mention that I've been using the shorter name in the forums, bz the audience that I'm conversing to knows what the plant's species is. If I was referring to the plant to someone who doesn't know much about CPs, then I will definitely include the species' name w/ the cultivar name.

Vic,

Albino in other species are not entirely white either. From Webster's Dictionary:

al·bi·no
    Pronunciation: al-'bI-(")nO
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -nos
    Etymology: Portuguese, from Spanish, from albo white, from Latin albus
    Date: 1777
    : an organism exhibiting deficient pigmentation; especially : a human being or nonhuman mammal that is congenitally deficient in pigment and usually has a milky or translucent skin, white or colorless hair, and eyes with pink or blue iris and deep-red pupil[/QUOTE]

I grow some of the D. 'Albino' outside, while it has some pink pigmentation, it does not become as red as the typical form.

Perhaps the nominant of the D. 'Albino' cultivar name could have selected a better name. Nevertheless, it is the correct name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote (Vic Brown @ April 15 2003,11:39)
    Take a look at the photo at the start of the thread, there is clear red pigmentation on the tentacles, and P. D'Amato in 'The Savage Garden' mentions 'pale pink glands'. These are not mentioned in the original cultivar description, quite the opposite in fact.

Vic[/QUOTE]
    What exactly are you trying to say? I don't understand your post? Are you trying to say 'Albino' is pink or not pink?

The answer of corse is moot because the definition of Capensis 'Albino' is plant with little to no pigment in the tenticles and a white flower. It's the flower that makes it 'Albino'
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (christerb @ April 14 2003,05:34)
    Hi Emesis,

If the registered name is going to be used, shouldn't the species name - capensis - be left out altogether, since the database says only D. 'Albino'?

Personally I will continue to call this form D. capensis "alba" or D. capensis "white flower" though.

Regards,

Christer[/QUOTE]
    You can only do that is you say something like D. Capensis varr D. 'Albino'.

You can't just say D. 'Albino', thats an error in the database, you can't just leave out the sp. name. That would be like saying white snake. What white snake?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast