User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Capensis alba

California, in the USA, in North America, on planet Earth, in the Milkey Way galaxy. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Darcie @ April 15 2003,9:00)
    You can't just say D. 'Albino', thats an error in the database, you can't just leave out the sp. name. That would be like saying white snake. What white snake?[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree with darcie. Makes more sence. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] (I'm not siding with anyone here though, it just starts arguements)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcie,

Actually, when dealing with cultivars species name is optional, as has been pointed out above (see the quote from Emesis message April 14).

Although I have stated that I feel that capensis should be included, this doesn't change the fact that D. 'Albino' is correct according to the cultivar rules. I still hope that this name will never become widespread in cultivation, as this could fool growers into thinking that this plant is something other than a pale/white flowered D. capensis.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, that wasn't in the naming rules I read. Well, whatever [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] it's still like saying white snake... actually more like saying Albino Boa (WHAT KIND OF BOA&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I think they choose 'Albino' because their isn't a spiecies called D. albino. Your right though, something like 'white flower' would be better.

Oh look at the time, I have to go water my D. 'Red'.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

In regards to the scientific binomial, you are correct, it is necessary to use both the Genus and species name.

Its an entirely different ball game with cultivars however, and listing just the cultivar name along with the Genus is perfectly acceptable, according to the ICBN regulations. It really doesn't matter what species it is, or is derived from, who first produced it, or the methods used. All that is essential is that the plant conform *exactly* to the registered description. Referring to your "white snake" example, if any "snake" out there matches your published description of "white snake" then it is that in fact. If it differs significantly, then it is not (and also has the potential to be registered in its own right. All that needs doing is to state the difference between it and the original "white snake")

The reason 'Albino' is correct vs. "alba" is because the ICBN rules do not permit Latinizations, which are reserved for the Latin binomials.

Also, if one wanted to be really cruel, they could technically register a blood red plant as 'Albino' and it would have to stand if so published.

There is a difference between horticulture and taxonomy. Taxonomy has always been the tool used to define and seggregate these plants, but this is not the only method possible, and I see the new use of registered cultivars as an additional tool that will help us communicate effectively about the plants we grow and distribute.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to what Schloaty was saying about having some which do not produce any pink pigment in the leaves - I have never had any pink pigment on mine either, and they are in direct sunlight.
    After seeing this picture in this thread, I am beginning to wonder about differences with this plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what do we do about when more then one spiecies has the same cultivar name?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

That can't happen. If a plant exactly matches the cultivar description, it is the cultivar. If it doesn't match then it is not the cultivar, and may be described in it own right and registered. In the example of D. capensis 'Albino' if the description states "colorless glands" then pink glands would set it apart. If the main feature is considered to be a white flower, then the gland color doesn't enter in to the description and if both forms have the white flower, then they are both D. 'Albino'. The person who makes the publication (needed before registering the plant name) determines what the most important elements are to focus on. If I feel that the pink gland variety is worthy, I can register it as D. "Pink Maid" clearly stating the difference in gland color as the main consideration of distinction.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hun? I didn't say anything about pink and white gands making a difference. I was asking what do you do when you have two spiecies with the same cultivar name like (fictional example)
    d. Rotundifolia 'red'
    d. Capensis 'red'

How do you know what plant is being talked about when someone says d.'red'?
    My Grow List

9. Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast