Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binata Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne,

Sounds like you've got things pretty much set butI'd still like to drop a little more advice. Taking cuttings is a good idea, just remember not to do too much. And if the plant seems like it has died don't give up on it right away. One of my extrama's died back completly after a dry spell (my fault) and a month later it came back strong. From what I have heard these guys are prone to dying back when stressed but they almost always come back from their roots.

I also had a thought involving the egg white. I have been assuming you mean from a boiled egg and if so did you use salt in the water to make it boil faster? If you did that could be the problem as the egg would have taken up some of the salt. (This is only a theory mind you and I could easily be waaaaaaaaaaaay off.)

Best of luck with your cuttings

Pyro

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pyro

The binata is still growing (not dying back)...not putting up as strong a stems as it did at first but that could be because I let it flower. Shoulda cut that scape off. The only cuttings I took were from stems that were already on the way out. I figured I'd just try it and see if anything happened. And I didn't use any salt when boiling the egg. Maybe it just didn't like the eggwhite. Hopefully it will just keep growing but I'm afraid it will continue to keep the pale white forks. I've considered moving it out of the tank and putting it in a dome by itself where maybe it could get more light (since its taller than anything else in the there). I wish there were more information floating around specific to the binata. There is only a small section in The Savage Garden on them specifically. I will have to hunt around the 'net and see what I can come up with. I wonder if Sundew Matt would be open to a question or two. I hear he's quite a drosera expert.

Thanks for all the advice (and from everybody else too). I really appreciate it. I just want my plant to be healthy and happy.

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzanne,

You can try Matt but from what I gather he is more into pygmies and smaller resetted species.

Your idea of moving it to it's own container in a lighter possition might be a good move too. I'll do some hunting and see what I can find.

The flowers could be part of the cause. If it has already bloomed I wouldn't bother cutting them off as that is the most energy consuming part.

Also, do you know about the CPlistserv? It's a CP email newsletter type thing for Q&A (and a bit of friendly arguing.) A lot of the Big Guns from ICPS are on it so you might want to consider dropping a post to it. There is a link on how to subscribe to it on the CP FAQs page.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pyro. I've heard of the CP listserve but I didn't know how it worked. I might check that out though. I have heard its really good for information.

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also an archive since March 1999 :

http://epm.ucdavis.edu/www/mxarchive/CP_Archive.htmlx

if you have two weeks of free time , than you should have a look at it ;o)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne,

how's all the plants doing? I don't drop by here much so I missed your post. I don't think humidity has much to do with it, I grow my binatas outside. I think you should maybe even acclimate them (gradually give them less and less humidity) until you can grow them in a normal house environment. I have found that even outside in low southern CA humidity as long as the roots keep wet a lot of sundews including binata keep their "dew."

Light could be a problem, although I have found that usually low light just causes the plants to put our really long stems with no or little traps at the ends.

I personally have never experienced what you described in my plants, I can only guess. How old are the leaves that are turning white?

As far as feeding goes, I usually let my plants feed themselves if you have them outside our on a windowsill they do plenty of that. It is a lot of fun watching them catch insects [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Binatas are really easy to do cuttings on, I once had a dichotoma 'giant' in low light so it put out this skinny 2.5 foot leaf with nothing at the end. I cut this up into several peaces and got quite a few plants out of it. They are all growing outside in partiall sun now and doing fine.

Well, sorry I wasn't much help [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Noah [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Noah

I think the consensus is maybe not enough light. The forks start fading not long after they unfurl. I did take two damaged forks and plopped them into some peat in a spath pot and I now have 4 sprouts...tiny but seem to be growing. I have two more segments in water as Pyro suggested.

I would be so afraid to uncover the binata. Especially now since its winter (well some days it is when its not 75 degrees outside) and the heat is on. The heat dries the house out. Indoor heating is something you Californians don't know too much about. :-) Maybe in the spring I can try the binata (and maybe capensis) outdoors. When I had my first rosetted sundew outdoors last year I couldn't keep dew on it for nuthin'. Hence my decision for the tank. I guess I'm afraid that drosera thats not in some kind of protected environment will dry out. (And I always thought VA had ghastly humidity in the summer.) I'm amazed at how many people grow drosera out in the open. Martin has the most beautiful photo of an adelae...wish mine looked like his!

My plants are doing great! I get the biggest kick out of watching them grow. The capillaris are doing really well...the aliciae stayed tiny for a while but are starting to grow pretty fast now. The capensis typicals are teeeeny weeeny but growing. And most exciting...I now have 4 byblis sprouts! Germination was fast...only about a week. They are miniscule so I hope they keep growing...they look so fragile. No sign of germination yet on the capensis seeds but I guess they take a few weeks. Thank you so much Noah...I've really enjoyed them all.

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I agree I wouldn't suggest going right out and plunking your binata into low humidity or direct sunlight. But slowly hardening it off would be good. One way is to put it in a terrarium or plastic bag and open it a little bit more every few days. In the wild most of these droseras go through pretty low humidity and a lot of sunlight. Hardening them off like this will make them easier to grow and harder to kill... and they still look great.

Congradulations on the byblis sprouts... mine didn't [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Oh well, I still have some left and will probably sow them directly into tc this time.

-Noah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast