What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, my drosera look like they are turning brown and wilting away! i dont know what to do! my first plants i got from home depot, i got a Drosera spathulata, it never dewed yet, and the leaves wilted away basically, but while this was happening, it sprouted a flower stem, which is finally wilting, has about 4-5 flower bulbs not opened yet, dead..so, i ordered more plants from petflytrap, another spathulata, it looks like its starting to do the same thing now, cept no flower stem. i also have a Drosera binata, no dew also, my tank is 125 gal tank, 6ft. long x 23" high x 18" wide, 4 4ft. bulbs, staggered 2 and 2, staggered 6 inches, plus, in the center on top, in front, i have 2 24" bulbs, all bulbs are broad spectrum G.E. sunshine florescent tubes. the bigger bulbs are 40 watts, the smaller are 20 watts a piece. the lights come on timed, at 6 A.M. and go off at 8 P.M. i have a digital humidifier inside the tank on the left side, and the tank is glass and saran wrap covered, humidity is any wheres from 78-85%. i crack the glass open a little bit, while im spraying, or landscaping. temp runs from 78 - 87 F. the plants are in the pots, and i keep the bottom plant trays filled, what am i doing wrong? should i stop misting, 2-3 times a day? or mist more? even the new growth looks like its dying, ive already had to clip a lot off the Drosera binata, also, if these plants die off, will new ones grow back? i need help bad with these plants! how can i stop them from wilting away and dying? oh, soil is peat moss, and perlite, any one know how i can fix these?

feeling desperate,
                       ccrider

My initial impression is that the plants are too humid and wet which has probably led to a fungal infection which is likely the cause of the wilting. Drosera species do not require misting, and the species mentioned do fine for me in lower humidity 40-70%.

The other details of the set up sound ok, although I do not personally use pearlite, prefering a 50/50 mix of peat and silica sand.

Another factor not mentioned is the water purity: the plants require distilled or rain water.

If the center growth is not affected, you might be able to nurse them back. Nothing will fix the leaves already affected.
Discontinue the misting.

D. binata is a tough species and will likely return from the roots given time. D. spatulata may or may not return. If worse comes to worse, I can provide you with seed of this species at your request.

hey tamlin! thanks for the info. the damage is already probably done, but i will stop misting them, the water is Hinckley springs distilled water, i was throwing 2-3 drops of super thrive onto the spray bottle and misting with that also, that im stopping too! i do still want to use super thrive in my saucer filling water, but i wont if you say not to. if your using silica sand/peat mixture, i think i should too, but, im afraid of ruining them more from transplanting, they do have such small roots!
smile.gif
whats your daily regimen for your sundews? i figure, if i can follow what you do, they will florish! because, after all, you ARE the sundew king!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
should i just setup a different tank for them? oh yeah, tamlin, im happy you didnt leave! thanks a lot again bud!

grateful,
ccrider
smile.gif

P.S. once i get them stable and growing like mad, i would love to check out any drosera seeds you have! lol! will pay, will pay for shipping too
smile.gif
but not til i have them mastered
smile.gif
like you!

ahh tamlin you solved my problem. my sundews and pings dont have much dew, is that because of the humidity? should i lower it. i have d.capensis, d.binata, d.spathula,d.slackii,p.lutea,p.giganta,p.ehlersia in the terrarium.

thanks
mike

Humidity is a sort of double bind with droserae. Yes, they appreciate good humidity, and most will grow very well in 100% but they will be "soft" plants, and if grown in this fashion will come to require such humidity to maintain their dew. With less humidity, they will grow equally as well, but they must be acclimated first. Taking a plant that has grown in 100% humidity and putting it suddenly in drier conditions will most likely result in loss of dew, but over time, the plants will adjust. This is one reason I prefer to grow plants from seed, as they acclimate to whatever conditions are provided. Here in upstate NY humidity is between 40-70% average, and I grow all my Drosera species outside in full sun with good attention to watering with no problems. When well grown in this fashion, rain, and even total submersion do not affect the dew, which is quickly replaced by the plants.

I have no daily regimen. Indoors plants are in terrarium set ups for the colder months. I keep a loose sheet of plastic over the opening. I use 4-6 40 watt tubes (balanced spectrum and cool whites 50/50). Petiolaris go closest to the top where they benefit from the heat output of the tubes. All my plants are in tray water (rain) except the petiolaris which are watered daily. Most are in 50/50 peat/washed silica sand with the exception of the bog growers which are in live milled sphagnum. I do not let my trays go dry, but I change the water religiously at least every 2 weeks (what a pain&#33
wink.gif

Good light, pure water, moderate humidity, nutrient and salt free substrates, natural photoperiod, and generally cool roots ((except in the petiolaris which want it hot) are the keys to mastering this genus.

Back