Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Names! what's in a name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...and all subsequent referrals to the species must follow this spelling, even if it is incorrectly spelled at publication..."

To my knowledge this is not correct, e.g. Nepenthes hamata was first described as Nepenthes hamatus TURNBULL & MIDDLETON (btw. Kurata described it as Nepenthes dentata nom. nud. some weeks later so he lost this "race".)

If you would be entirely correct you have to write it Nepenthes hamata in italic letters.

Not all people are happy with Jan Schlauer's database. He seems to be very fast with including several species into one. Take for excample some pygmae Drosera which are now be listed as subspecies.
    I would believe Allen Lowrie that he knows what he describes....

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty,

You know I really never noticed that (hmmmm, make note to talk to Phill about this ;-) )!!!!

Martin,

ALthough I am no expert on the ICPN rules, unless things have radically changed since my college years, I do believe I am right regarding protolouge spelling. I'm not familiar with the example you state (i.e. Nepenthes hamatus) but it seems likely this is an orthographic correction. The rules as I understand them state that the first valid publication of the species determines all subsequent spellings of the species name, except in cases or typographical or orthographic error (e.g. where the Latin usage is grammatically incorrect). This rule is retroactive to 1753.

For example, there are some istances where botanists tried to honor certain people by naming species after them. The problem was, they didn't spell these names correctly! By the ICBN rules, the deed could not be undone, and they continue to be misspelled, even today (some honor&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]. I find such rules to be entertaining, like a game, so I try to play by the rules. There are so many, that one could spend a lot of good drinking nights trying to internalize it all!

Regarding Dr. Schlauer's data base: I suggest that Dr. Schlauer probably has spent a number of good drinking nights studying this protocol. I wrote to him and posed this question, and will get back to you when I have a reply. I don't necessairly agree with all of Dr. Schlauer's taxonomic opinions either, but the fact is the CP Database affords us the best chance of reasonably discussing these species (a central point of reference), and provides a great resource of type location, initial authorship, previous changes...but it must be accessed through correct spelling of the species name. I think this was why this topic was introduced - it does address a very real need.

The CP Database should be a tool, but not regarded as the final word or utimate authority. I do not believe the author intended that it be taken as such. Taxonomic opinions are always changing with subsequent review. Everyone has their own focus regarding what constitutes a species. The thing I like about Dr. Schlauer's work is that it is there. It is reachable. I wish that Mr. Lowerie would afford us more of his experience, but he apparently doesn't own a computer, and I can't afford his books :-)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

"...The rules as I understand them state that the first valid publication of the species determines all subsequent spellings of the species name, except in cases or typographical or orthographic error..."

You are right, I thought that you ment that all errors can't be corrected.
    ----

"... but the fact is the CP Database affords us the best chance of reasonably discussing these species (a central point of reference), and provides a great resource of type location, initial authorship, previous changes...but it must be accessed through correct spelling of the species name. I think this was why this topic was introduced - it does address a very real need..."

Of course the database is an excellent work and there is nothing comperable at the www. But many people believe that it's the holy bible of carnivorous plants and this is something I don't like.
    One man to decide about a species rank or not....

I'm not a taxonomist (I couldn't be farer away from beeing one), so I don't have the knowledge to make any suggestions.
    ----

"... I wish that Mr. Lowerie would afford us more of his experience, but he apparently doesn't own a computer, and I can't afford his books :-) ..."

Hmmm, yes, would be time for a new big book including _all_ up to date species from Australia. ;-)
    Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hey Tamlin,
    While your at it, I think "Nepenthes sanguniea" should be "Nepenthes sanguinea."
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just now applied the screws to Phillip. To be honest, I sort of forgot previously and he is not to blame, so my humble apologies. Also, I want to say how nice it is for Schloaty not to take offense, since we, errr, just corrected another mis-spelled reference on another post, and he kindly informed us of the continued mis-spelled entries on the catalog page! heh heh.

To make up for it, when we all have our first International ********** Barb-b-que and Plant Exchange Extravaganza, I will present myself to the community to be Pied. Yup, thats what I said: Pied: P-I-E-D defined in Tamlin's First Dictionary as: verb. (from the Old English "pyed"): to be energetically presented with a pie, applied by the "pier" using a throwing motion of the pie (or pye) directly to the face of the pied, with or without prior knowledge or consent of the pied, for the purpose of light humor (or REVENGE). As in: "I pied him" "he was pied" "we shall pie him".

Hmmm, maybe we could raffle off for the chance to be the pier!!! (see above) and donate the thousands of dollars so generated to some good cause. Hey, we could take a poll: to pie or not to pie!!! Go ahead, I dare you, hah!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mhmmmmm

I see how it is [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Just talk about me... and not tell me to fix it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, lately even if you HAD told me to fix it, it probably woulnd't have been done so quick.

I'll take care of OUR spelling errors this weekend.

Thanks guys,
    Phil
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Dibbs on pier.

Think I earned it.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12