Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Names! what's in a name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Please be careful when using plant names. Since the ICPS is linked to the Carnivorous Plant Database, I often use and frequently recommend this resource whenever accurate/accepted spelling is desired to help avoid any possible confusion.

If you're trying to positively identify a plant with questionable ID, it is usually best to spell your guesses and speculations correctly. This way you avoid any possible confusion. It might not hurt to even give reference to your source, i.e. =>Carnivorous Plant Database.

As an obviously rediculous example of what might happen, consider "Drosera capilensis". It's not Drosera capillaris nor is it Drosera capensis.

Remember that plant names are universal and precise:

Drosera hamiltonii is not the same as Drosera hamiltonnii

Sure, we all make typos, but we should not be indifferent to them by ignoring them. It does not help anyone to ignore obvious mistakes, I doubt if any of us can be 100% correct, 100% of the time.
    We should be open to pointing out when we think someone has, for instance, spelled a name wrong. I know how to feel foolish when correcting someone elses mistake and at the same time make another of my own. I have made my share of spelling errors. But I give my thanks to all the people over the years who have helped me to be aware of the ones I make. It has helped me to make fewer. I call all of us to consider being that courteous to one another.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

oh dear. I better go check my seed lables, make sure I'm thinking of proper plants and all....

oh and I sugest making a little list and taping it were you can see it of the names you use a lot so you don't get screwed up like me all the time lol.

...BTW does anyone know of a sundew that sort of looks like a x-mas tree with the tip cut off, but is actually made up of curving, stacking broad flat leaves that come to a point? I have two of these things growing in with my seedlings and I don't see any dew hairs and I'm totaly new to these things. Anyways, I'm starting to wonder if these things are not really sundews at all o_O
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with this viewpoint. In fact, according to the rules of botanical nomenclature, such errors should automatically be corrected. I feel that the corteous corrections of such errors are part of the learning process, and welcome any corrections to orthogenic errors I may make.

My personal favorite correction is the mis-spelled Drosera "spathulata", which should be "spatulata" :-)

Rules of botanical nomenclature are quite specific on this point. The spelling of a species name is determined by the author of the protolouge (literally "first word"), and all subsequent referrals to the species must follow this spelling, even if it is incorrectly spelled at publication.

I will at times correct spellings I notice in posts, and I hope that I don't seem to be abrupt or abrasive in doing so. Another reason is that doing a websearch with a mis-spelled species will produce very little return.

Darcie's idea of making a list to refer back to for correct spelling is an intelligent idea. We all need to work to keep things accurate as possible to counteract the already confused condition of so many collections with misidentified plants, wrongly named and illegitimate species and mis-spelled binomials.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

What you describe is not a droserae. I have such in various pots of this and that. I can't say what it is, only what it isn't.

Anyone else know what this little guy might be?
    "Grow More, Share More"

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

This suggestion has been made before but I will repeat it again. Use a word processor that has a built in spelling checker. Many of them have the capability of adding words to their dictionary. This makes the addition of plant names easy. However, it won't catch the mistake of using D. spathulata instead of D. spatulata if at some point in time you posted something about N. spathulata. This brings up another point. Proofread your post a couple of times before adding it to the thread. I have found many errors in my posts this way. Usually transposed letters and words I left out of a sentence. After checking the post, Cut and Paste it to the forum Post box.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you got me Tamlin, i always use "Spathulata" lol.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot-on Joseph, I agree as well. The problem IMO stems mainly from the fact that most forum members have little or no formal, biological training, and hence are neither aware of, or in the habit of using Latin binomial nomenclature. I frequently edit mis-spelt plant names on the UK Forum where I am a moderator and have yet to receive a complaint.

It would be nice if capital letters were used correctly as well as spelling. The rule is simple enough, the name of the genus (eg. Drosera should begin with a capital letter, whilst that of the specific epitaph (eg. capensis) should begin with a lower case letter. To be extra picky, all Latin names should be written in italics (or under-lined where italics are not available). To be honest, it's only as result of reading this post (thanks Joseph) that I noticed that there was a button which enabled italics and it is much slower to post using it, so I think we can excuse that one, but everyone should be very careful about spelling when posting plant names.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

DOH!!
    Anyone notice PFT has "Drosera spathulata" in there online catalog? tsk tsk. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] (yeah. Like I'm a spelling wiz. Right. I gotta bridge to sell ya, too)

My favorite Drosera spelling error is mixing up the order of the vowels at then end of D. Aliciae (is that right? Darn it! I can never remember).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast