Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the pots can drain freely, there is nothing in the rain that will contaminate the pots. Rain is the thing that will leach out the nutrients, just as it does in many CP habitats. Adding some LFS between the bottom of the pot and the start of the mix should insure that the pots can drain even when sitting on a shelf. Of course, you dont want to put them in anything that will hold water.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case, is it ok to use rainwater to wash the peat and the LFS? I'm running low on distilled water [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

As for sterilisation, can I leave the peat/sand mixture in the sun?

I just got a manual food processor today to mince the LFS. Looking forward to sowing new seeds I got from Tamlin [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought 20 grade silca sand for 50lb for 10 dollars. I was wondering is this the right size. It says 20 grade on it, and it looks a little like salt size. I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I'm new to the kitchen, and I really don't know what a food processor is, is there any other way I could prepare my lfs so I can plant stuff in it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebeyonder,

Rainwater is fine to use for risning and watering purposes. No minerals are in it.

Dkim128,

You can use a pair of sissors. Wet the moss and roll it as tight aspossible. Snip as little as possible. Chopped moss like this will regenrate more quickly than milled moss, so you need to be attentive so that it doesn't overwhelm the seedlings. A food processor is a blender. Put the moss in, push the button, and whirrrrrrrrr in 3 seconds you have milled LFS, which is better than chopped. I generally use live moss, but dried will work as well or better for seedlings. Be sure to reove twigs and such before milling or chopping. You want moss and moss only.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I have a food processor, why do people have to make it so complicated, and not just say blender =D. Tamlin do you know anything about 20 grade sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I've been using Whitney Farms washed sand and peat for many months now on all my plants except my spatulatas (which I from **********) without any trouble. They're all growing beautifully one of my capensis is even flowering. I do rinse out the pots the plants are in quite a bit though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the various grading of sand. If it is fine sand it may tend to compact so I would go with a 60/40 mix of peat/sand vs the usual 50/50 for the smaller plants like tropical Drosera.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast