What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera glanduligera

Has any body here ever succefully germinated D. glanduligera seeds?
So far what i know is they like cool temps. nighttime temps can drop from 3-8 C though i dont know the conversion to (F) yet. i dont know the day temps but but will find that out in a little bit. The man at the australian carnivorous plant society gave me an e-adress to get the austalian weather forcast.

He  said that they dont require any stratification at all.
He told me and i read as well that they very much like very well drained soils and told me to water from the top. i would love to hear some input on this subject since Tamlin Dawnstar is sending me seeds as we speak
                                        Thanks
                                               Joel  
biggrin.gif

You picked a doozy to try. In conversation with Phil Wilson in the UK who is an avid grower of Australian and South African winter growing Droserae, he mentioned that he has achieved germination in his unheated greenhouse at temps close to 40F. I don't know if this implies stratification, but I feel it does. Usually with cold strat, the seeds undergo a cold period and are brought into warmer conditions. Phil felt that these plants required very cool conditions for both germination and growth, and suggested sowing them and putting the pots in the fridge. I did so and nothing happened. My source for the seed mentioned that the person who gave him the seed had these plants in his backyard, but was unable to germinate the seed that was gathered and sown on pots. This suggestes to me that there is some consideration beyond substrate, photoperiod and temperature. I did talk to a grower in Australia that speculated that a specific type of fungus similar to penicillin was needed to somehow remove the inhibitory auxins in the seed coat, and that this mold followed areas of serpentine deposits which encouraged it's presence in the habitat substrate where the plant grows. Whew, talk about complex.

So I am pleased to announce that Phillip and Jaie will probably reward anyone who can come up with a reliable method of germination, what do you say guys: 1,000.00 bucks reward? 500.00? How about a dente? (Remember, I am sending you seed of this too&#33
wink.gif

Uhh Ohh, too much typing, it's happening again. Nurse! My medication if you please!

tamlin when you said serpentine you ment snake feces correct? if that is so and it lives a simbiotic relationship with snakes then why not visit your local pet shop and ask for snake feces, that might ecourage the growth of the fungus that is desired?
Joel

The serpentine I am referring to is a mineral deposit.............snake feces? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

A friend in Australia reports he has germinated, grown and flowered this species. I will be finding out all I can on his methods and will make a report as soon as I learn what he did to achieve this remarkable feat!

Remember that this is an annual species if you do get germination. You will need to pollinate to get seed for the next season.

Tamlin are you any closer to getting that info on glanduligera from your friend in austalia?  
confused.gif

Working...............................................................

I just aquired some seeds of this species from the icps seed bank , the only information i found on the packet was the words winter annuals , so i'm guessing they grow during the cool wet winter months of austrailia . But can someone tell me whats a goos substrate to use , when to sow the seeds ( i live in the northern hemisphere ) and if now is not a good time then can i store the seeds in the fridge til it's a good time and what special things must i know about germination for this mysterious species ?

I once ask this question regarding the germination of D. glanduligera to John Brittnacher, and he replied my that he had some germination (I don't know how much success) by scarifying the seeds on sand paper and treating them as tuberous sundews seeds, outside.

I did not try it but I believe fire stratification should work. The smoke and the heat are the two points. I heard that these plants grow very well after a fire.

I would doubt the role of fire in germination as these plants seem to germinate on mass where there has been no fire for many years. A better method would be to sit them sown in a bone dry pot in full, hot sun for a few weeks then wet and cool them, maybe stick the pot in the fridge for a few days? I have never tried this but it should recreate their natural growing habit, remember in SE Aust the sun is VERY hot and the summers are dry (except for this one!!). Simply wetting them will not work (well) as it is quite wet here at the momment (for summer) and there are no glanduligera germinating.

George

Back