Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adelea soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I'm new to the Discussion Forums.

At the begining of the summer,I got a small pot of Drosera adelea from osh. About a month ago, they outgrew the pot, so I transplanted them to 4 in. pots with a spagnum peat/long fibered spagnum/vermiculite/perlite mix,(Spelling?) and for the past month, I haven't seen much growth in them. Are the pots too big? Is the soil mix wrong? Or is this normal? Thanks.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Adelaes, I've had success with a 1/2 peat and 1/2 sand, as well as 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite. Right now, I'm experimenting with growing it in just LFS, and I'd say this looks even better.

I don't know if you're mix is good or bad, and I've never added vermiculite to any of my drosera mixes. Perhaps simpler mixes may benefit your plant(s).

On a related note, since I have about 30 plantlets that spawned from my original, I tried experimenting growing them in a variety of lighting conditions, and I've found that Adelaes do best in very shady conditions with humidity. In more light, yes they get nice red coloration, but seem to have shorter life span.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS - I don't think the pots being too big is a problem, as long as you can keep the medium permanently moist.

Leo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd repot them without the vermiculite. Vermiculite will reduce the acidity of the soil.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Leo @ Sep. 25 2002,7:15)
    PS - I don't think the pots being too big is a problem, as long as you can keep the medium permanently moist.

Leo[/QUOTE]
    ok thanks. I've been leting the soil dry out, so do I keep them on the tray system? With an inch of water or so?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Vic Brown @ Sep. 25 2002,7:42)]I'd repot them without the vermiculite. Vermiculite will reduce the acidity of the soil.

Vic
    Vic,
    O.K. I'll do that. When I got the adelea, I noticed that they used pure spagnum. would the change of soil make them grow slower for a while,and how tall do the plants get before they flower? Thanks.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the best ones I ever grew weren't planted in anything. Once upon a lazy moment, while separating some Drosera adelae plants to pot up separately I left them in the shallow tray of water I was using to keeping them from drying out during their move. I noticed that they grew quite well simply lying in a shallow tray of water so I just continued to make sure that the tray was kept full of water. They grew, multiplied, bloomed, and continue to grow very well as semi-aquatics.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (PinguiculaMan @ Sep. 25 2002,10:50)
    Some of the best ones I ever grew weren't planted in anything. Once upon a lazy moment, while separating some Drosera adelae plants to pot up separately I left them in the shallow tray of water I was using to keeping them from drying out during their move. I noticed that they grew quite well simply lying in a shallow tray of water so I just continued to make sure that the tray was kept full of water. They grew, multiplied, bloomed, and continue to grow very well as semi-aquatics.[/QUOTE]
    wow, I'm going to give mine more water then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast