What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harvesting seed from the "easy" sundews

I have a few sundews who have finished flowering (the Spatulata is still flowering) and I was wondering when I can harvest the seed? I don't wanna cut the pods off too early but I don't want them to open and spill into my other drosera pots either. Is there a way to tell they are ready to be harvested?

Thanks for any info!

The pods should turn black or brown. Try cutting between the pod and the main stem, they won't all be ready at the same time. The seed should be small and black, but if it's white and sticky then it's not ripe.

Great thanks for the tip! Before I read a reply I got anxious and I cut the bottom pod off and checked it but the seed was still yellowish-white so I will wait til the pods turn dark before I try again.

PS can you cross spatulata and intermedia sucessfully (I suppose the offspring would be sterile but it would just be an experiment)?

Back