What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera hybridizing

Hello,

Does anybody have any general or specific tips on hybridizing Drosera they could share with me?
I have questions, maybe stupid questions....

1.) Can tropical Drosera be crossed with temperate Drosera, i.e. D. capensis X D. rotundifolia?
2.) Can tuberous or pygmy Drosera be crossed with other types of Drosera, or eachother?
3.) Has any one ever grown or heard of a D. binata type being crossed with a rosetted sundew,
and if so, what did the offspring look like?

Thats all I can think of for the moment!

Thanks!

1) Yes, anglica "California(temperate) x Hawaii(tropical)", but capensis x rotundiflora wouldn't work
2)tuberous and pygmies cannot cross. Pygmies can cross with other pygmies(erickoniae x pulchella, 'Lake Badgerup', 'Carburup' etc.) Sometimes this occurs in the wild. I have heard that tuberous droserae can cross, but rarely produces viable seeds. The seedlings are often weak, and die within a short period of time.
3) I do not think so as I have never heard of a binata x other sp.

Does anyone here have any tips on how to hybridize them?
I am planning on trying to cross D. capensis and D. aliciae, is there anything I should be aware of when trying to crosspolinate them?

Tip for hybridization.  Make sure you mark the flowers you pollinate with a marker that WON"T FALL OFF!!!

AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!

I was so psyched when I found a D. spatulata and D. capensis "albino" flower open at the same time....rubbed 'em together....marked 'em....AND THE MARKS FELL OFF!

(cursing like a sailor)
mad.gif

mad.gif

Back