What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nooooooo! they're all gonna die!

NOOOO!!!!!!
sad.gif
wow.gif
all of my pygmy sundews have a thick layer of fungus growing on the soil of their pots!!! please help! what do i do? I always had this problem, and fungicide would not kill it, but now its way thick! its growing over the pygmies!!!!! NOOOOOO!
mad.gif
please help me!
sad.gif
I dont want them to die! I was just starting to see gemmae!
sad.gif

please help
sad.gif

-Spec
sad.gif

Not sure if this will work, but have you tried wetting a cotton swab with alcohol and dabbing it on the fungus? This has worked for several fungi that have attacked my plants. I will say it does not work on mildew which is currently growing on the soil surface of part of my pygmy collection.

If you do the alcohol thing, dont spray it over your plants, I already killed some pygmies that way to get rid of a heavy fungus gnats larvae attack... It could work, perhaps, once diluted...

i have aomse fungus on my d. pulchella x nitidula as well . the best way is to attacm while its still smallbut i guess your porblem is even worse .try the alcohal thing , try spraying alot of fungicide , try taking some off with tweezers , or try burning it
wink.gif
. good luck .

I would repot them all. Take twisers and pluck out the plants with roots. Rinse off with a spary of water and repot in fresh medium

I would repot as well and still treat with fungicide just in case a little comes with.

Could you post a picture. I am not sure what this fungus looks like.

Hi Spec,

Everyone's given good advice, BUT I would be very careful if you choose to repot: Pygmy Sundews hate their roots being disturbed or damaged, so you would have to be very careful not to break any of the fine long roots.

Alternatively, you said you can just start to see gemmae forming: if you can keep the parent plants going long enough to harvest the gemmae (prob around November on), you'll be home and dry! ( to restart the plants from gemmae! ).

Let us know how it goes...  
smile.gif

wow.gif
4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Copper @ Sep. 18 2003,7
wow.gif
4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would repot as well and still treat with fungicide just in case a little comes with.

Could you post a picture.  I am not sure what this fungus looks like.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sure... I'll try to post one tonight... unfortunately two species look like they wont make it...
sad.gif
an unknown and my scorpiodes...

edit: william, do you still have some pygmy # 1, pygmy # 2, and C-1 clones? if so, maybe we could trade later on once you get gemmae?
smile.gif
fortunately, I got a picture of them before the fungus started killing them... If i can find the picture on my computer, I will post it. they looked beautiful, and they got large too... the size of a nickle
wow.gif

I think i know what this fungus is now! Its the sphagnum, molding!
wow.gif
I think that's why i couldn't get rid of the mold... I never plucked out the sphagnum! I will take a pic before i pick out the sphagnum, so we might be able to identify it.
smile.gif

I find a high sand to peat ratio works best for these plants, and never use sphagnum. I would let the medium dry off some: pymys can take the surface nearly bone dry and still grow well. In the mean time I would go with Nick's idea, versus repotting which is very dangerous , especially this time in their cycle.

From what I have read, I would not repot them. Pygmies have a very delicate root system. You might try a dry dormancy. Pygmies are adapted to dry climates. Mine are in dormancy right now. I havn't watered them for two weeks now, and the soil is all dried out. This might help kill the fungus.

Ditto for mine. Cobra lilies and pygmy sundews: no luck.

The same green fungus is little more than a nuisance to other plants, but it has just about tortured my last pygmy to death. I've tried to pick it out and replace with river rock or silica sand to keep it from growing back. Fungicide... Grrrr!

Dry?

Well, maybe next time.

Sorry to hear that beagle,and spec:( . I hope they recover!

Back