What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmies all dead...:(

after discussion about palcing pygmies outdoors, i tried it. They were shaded for awhile aand then gradulally introduced to stronger light. well, after 5 days, all are dead. (D.nitudula X occendatlis).im proabbly giving up on pygmies now, as i only have 3 nitudula X occendatils and 3 occendatlis left. all are douing poorly. Well, thnaks anyways-Zach

That is to bad they all died.
sad.gif
Not saying I can fix your problem on D.nitudula X occendatlis but what kind of things have you done to try to keep them alive? I am sure people here at PFT forum can give you tips on how to keep them alive. I would just like to see you keep on trying. As my san goes "I will never be done" from a kid I heard when I was floating down the river. The kid had a toy and told the other kid "I will never be done with they toy as long as you are here". Any who sorry to hear about your sundews and wish you better success on other plants
smile.gif

Travis

Well be happy you at least you have sundews! I have none!

Hi Zach

I'm so sorry to hear about your pygmies. Are you sure the sun killed them or were they not doing well before you put them outside?

Don't give up on them. If everyone who killed a flytrap gave up and never grew one again, there would be NO CP growers! :)

At any rate, I am sorry...I know it sucks to lose plants.

Travis...that quote from the little kid is a hoot!!
smile.gif

Suzanne

thanks guys. wel, i think they died because they were already doing poorly inside. well, i probably will still do pygmies..just not alot. im all for sundews though
smile.gif
. thnask and cya-Zach

Zach,

I should be able to send you some plants once my income starts incoming:) so don't take it too hard. They will be acclimated to outdoor conditions too, I'm just not sure how well they will transplant at this stage of their cycle. If all else fails I will have a lot of gemmae to offer you in the fall.

Zach,
I already shipped some mature D.nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis(D.x'Lake Badgerup') and a bunch of smaller ones to you today. They should probably arrive by Wed.

I would grow them outside once they arrive. They should have little problem outdoors if they are not too stressed. The only problems I can see with pygmy droserae grown in a terrarium are:
1. The environment inside the terrarium is too humid. Personally I have found that my pygmies grow best outdoors in my area where the humditiy is around 40%-50% with higher humidity at night.
2. There is inadequate light(or the wrong photoperiod).

I water my pygmies from above and keep the medium only damp. Some pygmies require a dry summer dormancy, but D.x'Lake Badgerup' does not.

Don't feel too bad Zac bcs I just waxed two of mine (pulchella I think) due to low light. Even the guy I bought em from told me I shouldn't grow them in a terrarium but I didn't listen and they are now fertilizer. Everybody kills their share of CPs anyway. I have killed approximately 4 sundews, 3 neps, 2 Cobras PP, 1 Sarracenia, and a VFT. I better stop this message before I make anyone else as depressed as this is making me
sad.gif

thanks for all the replies. thanks also to CP2k and Tamlin for the offer in plants. this will really help me collection out. yea, we all killed cp's!

CP Heaven is a thick and lush place. :biggrin: We've all contributed.

suzanne

Keep an eye on the mail, I have sent a small offering today. I will get some others off to you soon.

thanks tamlin! I hope i get it soon!!!!!
smile.gif
. i just cant thank you enouhg (and many more of ya) for all this kindness.

Ceph88, Don't be shy! Go ahead and tell the people about the N. aristolochioides, N. campanulata, N. eymae, N. hamata, N. lowii, N. rajah, N. sumatrana, N. spectabilis, and the N. villosa that you've killed... maybe you can get those replaced.

P.S. I hear Tamlin has a new N. argentii, tell them you killed one of those too! Those babies are like one of the rarest out there! Don't forget to send me 99.99999% of the plants you recieve, I deserve some for coming up with this evil scheme... HA HA HA HA HA!!!
smile.gif

Then we can breed these plants and mutate them to disguise them as goldfish with really bad acne!
doublebubble.jpg

Ooops, I forgot to take my medicine. We'll continue this conversation later!

(Edited by Statik2426 at 8:19 pm on April 24, 2002)

Almost all pygmies don't like transplating, because they have only one very long main root.

####, those are some nasty looking goldfish. I look at freak mutants like those and just think "WHY?!" By the way, what was your point in mentioning the Nepenthes Zach managed to kill?

Hi Matt,
Zach didn't actually kill those neps! It was a joke to see if they could get those sent for free like the pygmies!

Those fish are F R E A K Y!
Theres no way I could get to sleep if they were in a bowl in my room!
smile.gif

i want to take a small needle and pop each one of those little bubbles!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, DONT do that.. YES.. dont do it! YES i will do it now. AHHHHHHHHHH--- oh, im okay now, [faint maniacial laugh off too the left]:wink:

Back