What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My tank...

Well. Some seeds I planted failed to germinate, so all I have now is a tank of peat, and some other additives... here are the measurements:

12 inches long, 6 inces wide, and about 5 inches of head room (thats including the soil in there already)...

Temps are about 90 during the day, and its humid... I'm guessing I should be looking at African species... Any suggestions?

Thanks. Its your choise on what i shoudl put in there guys. Hehehe...

I vote for Ultralowland Nepenthes  
biggrin.gif
 Ok, sorry wasn't one of the choices.  
tounge.gif
 Hmm.....go for a little more air circulation 90 may be a bit extreme for Drosera, the dew would evaporate off of thier traps!  
wow.gif
 But Lowland Neps sounds ideal if you want to keep it at that temp.

Ok then. Wut lowland nep is TINY enough for that?

N. ampullaria springs to my mind as the smallest lowland. Just trim the climbing stems when they're produced and you will eventually end up with a carpet of ground rosettes. A tank full of the different varieties (green, speckled & red) would look pretty neat I think! Other than them I dunno of any warm growing neps that stay 5" or less.

D.falconeri would require warm nights along with the 90 degree days. The drainage in the terrarium would have to be increased by mixing the peat with perlite etc. Plus, a lot of light(outdoors sun or strong artificial light) will be needed. Then there is the trouble of finding one...

D.madagascariensis, sp.botswana, spathulata, capillaris, burmanii, byblis liniflora will likely grow well in your setup. I do not think any nepenthes will stay compact enough to grow in the terrarium longterm.

Byblis liniflora isn't too tall?

Hi,

B. liniflora could probably be grown in that space since it would fall over before it became too tall.

D. adelae, D. prolifera, and D. schizandra should do alright in there I think.

Most smaller Utrics. would be alright, but they could become a problem of course.

I have serious doubts about any Nepenthes fitting in there. N. ampullaria is too large for sure. However, since Neps. are fairly slow growing from seed, you could perhaps grow seedlings in the tank until they become too large after a year or 2.

Take care!

Chris F.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">D. adelae, D. prolifera, and D. schizandra should do alright in there I think. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I have found schizandra to like cooler temperatures - I think 90 could be too hot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">D.falconeri would require warm nights along with the 90 degree days. The drainage in the terrarium would have to be increased by mixing the peat with perlite etc. Plus, a lot of light(outdoors sun or strong artificial light) will be needed. Then there is the trouble of finding one...

D.madagascariensis, sp.botswana, spathulata, capillaris, burmanii, byblis liniflora will likely grow well in your setup. I do not think any nepenthes will stay compact enough to grow in the terrarium longterm.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

My falconeris are in milled sphagnum and are absolutely gorgeous. Medium is surprisingly pretty wet. As long as you dry the tray and leave the soil moist during the winter, they shouldn't need perlite in their mix. It can't hurt though.

All the other members of the petiolaris complex should do well in a hot terrarium. Good luck!

SundewMatt

Back