What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata lack of new leaves

Dave S.

NECPS President
I received this plant a few months ago and it was putting out new leaves every few days. I had this plant in a humid terrarium (70%+) with average to bright light. The temperature ranged from 65F - 80F. It stopped putting out new leaves in the terrarium, but I was not too concerned at first because it had plenty of leaves. I have since moved it (about one month ago) to a dry office environment, but it is planted in an oversized brandy glass. I still have moss growing green and a small weed is doing great. The six remaining leaves still have dew and it has caught a few gnats. It now receives natural light from an East window. It otherwise seems to be doing OK.

Did this plant go into a mild dormancy?
Can and should I try to get it to put out new leaves?

It is hard to say what the problem could be. A number of forms of binata will go dormant with lower temperatures. I have found temperature has a much greater affect than photoperiod. I would expect an office would be warm enough to stop most forms from going dormant. If the plant does however think the seasons are changing, the southern forms can go dormant no matter what you do. Did the size of the last leaves it produced vary/were they smaller?

Are you keeping the plant WET, these plants grow in very wet soil. I have found stands of plants growing in floating rafts of weed in the edges of rivers. (http://www.freewebs.com/hc_organics/Pics/binataTI06hab.JPG) Although they are very hardy and will tolerate drier conditions. The other concern would be the amount of light it is getting in the office. I find they like a lot of light. If it is not getting direct sun for a few hours or at least very bright light I would feel this is your problem. I do not feel binata make very good indoor plants.

I hope this is of some help,
George

Did the size of the last leaves it produced vary/were they smaller?

The leaves looked to be the same size or bigger.

Are you keeping the plant WET, these plants grow in very wet soil.

Yes, and I use RO water about every other day. I will try to grow it more wet and see what happens.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure that the light is not as intense as it should be. It is odd that I noticed this problem when I had it  my terrarium where it received a lot of light. I think I will place it outside for the rest of the summer and hope it improves.

Hi George,

Welcome to the Forums, it's so good to see you here! YAY!

I agree with you, and I think if Dave puts the plant outside it will return to good growth. Sometimes transplant shocks the plant into a brief dormancy, but with warmth and wet conditions, this should soon change.

No matter how much flourescent light you give the plant, it can't compare to old Sol. The problem is the light reaching the base is not enough, although the leaves may be getting sufficient light. Its the same problem as with Sarracenia: the heigth of the plant prevents placing the crown close to the tubes. Differences of a few inches make a great deal of difference in the amount of light reaching the plants meristem.

Good luck with your plant. Don't worry too much, these plants are remarkably tough. When conditions aren't right for good growth they just shut down and wait until they are, and this is probably what yours is doing.

Just an update.

My D. Binata is doing quite well now outdoors in full sun and keeping it very wet, almost as an aquatic. It is putting out new bright red leaves like crazy.

Wow cool... My Binata is headed outside first thing in the morning. Thanks for the info guys
smile.gif

Steve

Dave,

Thanks for the update. I am happy to hear that your plant is perky! My D. binata are HUGE this season. I have yet to fully understand why they do better some years than others, since my care of them is identical. I suppose it's just one of Mother Natures secrets. Some day I want to try growing them hanging in a greehouse in a ball of sphagnum. I think the leaves would grow everywhere in such a situation, and it would look soooo cool if there were a way to keep the moss wet. OF course, I would need a greenhouse to do that.....

Good to hear that your binata is making a strong comeback! These are great plants. Mine are starting to take off again, its still cold here but they know spring is on its way!!

'Some day I want to try growing them hanging in a greehouse in a ball of sphagnum.'
Hmmm...
rolleyes.gif
 now thats an idea!!

George

Back