Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gemmae i sent of drosera hyperostigma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies to all who received Drosera hyperostigma gemmae from me since last season. The plants recently flowered, and the flower does not conform to hyperostigma. These plants were purchased, and I assumed they were as claimed. My source did not have adequate resources to key the material before it was sold, and I assumed it was correctly ID'd. If you received this species from me, please change your labels. I suggest D. palacea with a question mark: this is the closest determination I can arrive at, and my guess is confirmed by another grower of these plants. Pygmy Drosera are very difficult to identify when out of flower, so mistakes can happen. I will keep all updated as to my progress in identifying this beautiful plant.

I currently have abundant gemmae of this if anyone wishes some, (considering the ID problem). If you are not too hung up on accurate names, the gemmae is available for a SASE.

Sorry again for the problem.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Ditto on that. At least they're not D.spatulata or tokaiensis [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I'd hesitate before labelling them "paleacea" though, they look a lot like the "D.roseana" I have seen. Of course, I have seen neither in flower from what I recall, plus I am no expert on pygmy Drosera IDs. The plants I have labelled paleacea flower frequently, even without much season fluctuation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

What color are the flowers? These guys have not yet flowered for me, but they are producing gemmae.

The D."not hyperostigma" does not look anything like the roseanas or palacea ssp. trichocaulis that I grow. Maybe it is stelliflora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.stelliflora

The above very closely resemble the sp."not hyperostigma".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera roseana is considered a sub-species of Drosera paleacea, as is Drosera stelliflora, leioblastus, and trichocaulis. I would not hesitate to change labels as far as paleacea, but wait on the ssp. until I can do some research.

The closest determination I can reach is to exclude the possibility of ssp. stelliflora as the petals are not lanceolate, but rather, obovate.

Drosera paleacea ssp. leioblastus has glandular hairs on the scapes. I did not note this in these plants.

Drosera paleacea ssp. trichocaulis has non glandular hairs. This doesn't fit the bill either, but is closer.

Drosera paleacea ssp. paleacea is a distinctly different color overall, and the stipules differ.

I am familiar with ssp. roseana, and the plant in many ways conforms to this ssp., esp. regarding flower color. I tend to lean in this direction, esp. after seeing the flower photos online.

I will continue to try to remedy this unfortunate problem, and will keep you posted of what I am able to come up with.

"Grow More, Share More"

What I have labelled stelliflora is quite different from what I have labelled roseana and both are easy for me to tell apart. However, the "not hyperostigma" looks very similar (possibly identical - id have to take a better look?) to roseana. Both my "roseana" and "stelliflora", without flowers, also look like the photos in Lowrie's volume 2, which is a must have if youre going to do any pygmy ID work. If I had this book sooner, I would not have believed this plant to be hyperostigma and would have had doubts about its ID even before anyone saw it flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but perhaps you should acquire these essential tools *before* you sell the material in the future, it would certainly be more effective than hindsight.

Since the plants produced gemmae from last October to Early July this year, I sent this material freely to some 30 growers, most of whom I can't recall. They in turn will probably spread the error exponentially.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Just a thought, but perhaps you should acquire these essential tools *before* you sell the material in the future, it would certainly be more effective than hindsight.

Since the plants produced gemmae from last October to Early July this year, I sent this material freely to some 30 growers, most of whom I can't recall. They in turn will probably spread the error exponentially.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried to find a copy of Allen Lowrie's Volume 2?
    I looked for a long time before I found someone with a copy he didn't want anymore.

Just a thought, but I am quite surprised that *you* of all people made the same mistake of accepting this ID before verifying it. Perhaps *you* should have acquired the same tools before sending your gemmae out. There's obviously no 1 person to blame for this mixup.
    I originally received more gemmae of this plant than I hoped for and, as usual, I sent out the spare plants before they reached maturity. It was either find new homes for the spares which I had no room for or toss them in the trash.
    There's no sense in your beating this one to death, it was an honest mistake which you feel was an easy one to make and made yourself, so let it go. There are plenty of commercial nurseries who you can blame for a lot more obvious and less forgiveable (and possibly even intentional) misidentification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast