Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mould....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grrr... My binata "Small Red" has this PROBLEM!!!! Its in my terrarium, and when the lid is shut all the way it gets white mold on the bug carcasses, but when its open (i hold up two corners with pop bottle lids) it gets chilly in there...

WUT DO I DO

Thanks you. Heh...
    Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am no expert but i dont think that the mold is a problem. I have little seedlings of other drosera that are in mold and thriving. And from what i have seen in my little experience with binata, they thrive in the same atmosphere as mold except they like alot more light than mold does. The white mold never bothers any of my plants that i have seen and it is in a bunch of places. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

cheers,

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well, thank you Joel...

And to clarify... That "WHAT DO I DO" Was a frustrated tone, not panicked. Hehe... Oy... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, stop feeding your plants until the problem resolves. Second, get a small paintbrush and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Wet the brush and dab the spots that has mold.
    These plants have never done well for me long term in terraria. Possibly you could grow them on a windowsill? They should not go dormant unless it is chilly enough for you to need a jacket :-)

Regarding mold: I lost a 200 plant collection to mold in 1988. I had a substrate terrarium that I kept for over a decade. Mold is an indication of many adverse conditions. When nutrients and too high a ph allow the growth of cyanobacteria and blue-green algae these in turn fix atmospheric nitrogen into the substrate. The algae is then colonized by mold (algae produces agar: perfect food for mold), and the process of substrate breakdown is accelerated, releasing nutrients detrimental to CP in general. Cyanobacteria are also anaerobic: indicating a lack of oxygen available to plant roots. Anaerobic conditions are very bad for CP as the bacteria can attack the plants roots.

Plants may grow for awhile in these conditions but probably will eventually decline. Personally, I would repot a plant in a fungus infected substrate. If the plants are seedlings, I would probably opt to transplant some out asap into clean medium. The remainder I would attempt to lower the Ph of the medium with some form of peat tea since flushing the pot from the surface might not be possible with tiny seedlings.

Prevention is the best cure for seedlings: Be sure to wash silica sand until the water is crystal clear when using it in a mix for seedlings, this is the most frequent source of micronutrients that support algae growth.

I hate mold with a passion greater than my hatred of squirrels, and that is considerable. Once the fungus began sweeping my terrarium, nothing would stop it. I tried everything. In less than a week, every plant I had sweated to acquire for 15 years was a slimy puddle. I didn't grow CP again for over a decade.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep the plant in my terrarium because it it a) warm enough, b) humid enough, and c) bright enough...

I've been squirting it with benomyl all the time... I can leave the lid open slightly, and I think that that will sorta help the issue... Its not me whos feeding it, its 'The Gnats' who do so themselves...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

You know most fungi help the plants not hurt them, don't worry about the mold unless you see it hurt the plant. (very few plants can survive without some sort of fungi symbiant)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fungus rotted the leaf off. I cut it off, then douced it in fungicide. Its better now, the newest leaf is really tall... I think thats due to its new lighting conditions though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, avoid mold. This type of mold is not mycorhizae, and it is not your friend. Spraying with fungicide is also not optimal for good growth. It is better by far to start with less TDS, thereby avoiding the issue of algae and mold from the get go.

Benomyl is a powerful mutagen with carcinogenic capabilities, and has been removed from the market. Handle with extreme care!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast