What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White spots!

I have no idea what these are.. but the newer leaves in my D. capensis are covered with white spots. They come off easily, but it's a pain to clean my plant since I always end up accidentally touching the dewy part of it.. Has anyone had a similar experience or know what this could be about?

Sounds like bugs.
wink.gif

Wah! I did some research and I think they're aphids! What should I do? It tells me to wash the plant but can I wash a Drosera?
confused.gif

You could *try*. Or get a systemic insecticide and kill them off that way. Or maybe submerge the plant in water for several hours and they might come off. Capensis is tough so you probably won't kill it.

Andrew

Aphids are very resistant to submersion. I would try swabbing the plant with a qtip dipped in alcohol, and then follow with an immediate spray rinse of water. Isolate the plant *immediately*, and keep a close watch for the return of the bugs, and repeat the process. I would also suggest that you take a leaf cutting or two and start them in case the worst comes to pass.

Thanks for the advice! I used alcohol but I couldn't reach a few with it, so I'm trying a flea collar now. It's doing better, hopefully it won't be too damaged!
confused.gif

If you are not shy about using systemic insecticides, try Orthene. I have used it on my CPs, including D. capensis, for years without causing any damage. There could be some particularly sensitive CPs that may be harmed by Orthene, but certainly not capensis.

Some one once told me to use alcohol on the spider mites I had on my banana plants.What it did was make all the leafs turn black with in 3 hrs
mad.gif
and on top of the the spider mites spread to other banana plants.

aphids are easy to get rid of . Your lucky there not spider mites .

_-West-_

rubbing alcohal is for fungi and microbs, not invertebrits.
It sounds more like cotton scail then aphids to me, those are horibly brutal and usually farmed by ants so be sure to look out for a colony reclaming your plant as a grazing area.

Back