Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propagating drosera intermedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I have a pot of Drosera Intermedia, one of which is about to flower. OK, once I've got the seeds, how shld I sow it? Need advice on the soil composition, steps etc, cos I've absolutely no experience growing even grass, not to mention CPs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

I've also read abt leave cuttings... can this be done with D.Intermedia? I mean, they don't flower everyday do they?

Many thanks in advance. You can check out pics of my D.intermedia by the link below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (eBeyonder @ June 08 2003,09:45)
    Hi guys,

I have a pot of Drosera Intermedia, one of which is about to flower. OK, once I've got the seeds, how shld I sow it? Need advice on the soil composition, steps etc, cos I've absolutely no experience growing even grass, not to mention CPs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

I've also read abt leave cuttings... can this be done with D.Intermedia? I mean, they don't flower everyday do they?

Many thanks in advance. You can check out pics of my D.intermedia by the link below.[/QUOTE]
    1) I sowed my drosera intermedia seeds in a 3 inch plastic pot in a half peat, half sand mixture. I left it under grow lights, 16 hours a day. they sprouted a week ago, hopefully nohting bad happens, and they grow to be adults. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    2) leaf cuttings work on every kind of drosera, with the exception of drosera regia, and as peter d' amato says, shouldn't be preformed on wooly sundews and pygmy sundews. It'll work on drosera intermedia. Pluck off one of the leaves at the base of the leaf, and treat it like the seeds.
    3) flowering has nothing to do with making leaf cuttings.

Hope I could help,
    -Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Spec, so sowing the seeds, or the leaf, I just put the seed/leaf in the sand/peat mixture? How deep must it be?

Also, as for the mixture, I have to thoroughly mix the sand and the peat up together?

Finally, do I need to water the sowed seeds/leaf? Or do I leave it in a water tray?

Many thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera intermedia are one of the easiest drosera to propagate. The 'Cuba' form and 'Brazil' forms are especialy nice. Here is what needs to be done:

Seed>>
    1. After collecting the seed, scatter them over a moist mix of peat/sand (mix until you see some sand and peat mixed).
    2. The container needs not to be deep, maybe an ince (if you are willing to repot in the future. If not, use a deeper pot so the plants will be happy for thier whole lives).
    3. Place the container (might i add, use a drained one) in a saucer of water.
    4. place in a zip lock bag (if home humidty is low) and place under growlights or near a window to get light.

Leaf Cutting>>
    ***Very Easy***
    1. Using twisers, gently pluck a leaf (including the white base).
    2. Place on a mix of moist peat/sand or L/F Sphagnum.
    3. Keep well lighted and moist.

Good luck-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Zach, thanks.... regarding the leaf cutting, do I leave the leaf ON the soil, or must I bury it under the soil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach,
    May I also ask how long it takes for a leaf cutting to root? I think I would like to try that with mine, but I want to know how long I should wait before I declare it a failure. Hopefully I won't really need to know, as hopefully it will just burst into growth...but just in case....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware that D. intermedia (if it is a temperate form) needs seed stratification for best germination: at least 2 weeks in the fridge.

Spec,

Peter D'Amato is dead wrong about leaf cuttings not being successful from D. regia and the petiolaris complex Drosera as our own Pinguiculaman has so aptly demonstrated. The D. regia I am now growing came from a leaf cutting. Although it is true that the process is a bit more difficult and chancey, success is possible and such attempts should not be discouraged.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ebeyonder, fancy seeing you here as well! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Your form is tropical and as long as the seeds are fresh you simply scatter on the surface of a pot and it'll sprout rather quickly.

Tamlin - I read with interest your previous post about propagating D.petiolaris complex plants via leaf cuttings. So far I've only been able to do that with D.falconeri, and even then with very limited success. Any idea if it'll work on D.lanata and D.petiolaris?

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast