What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think shes dead

In the last 4 days my entire pot of D. spatulata has died(i think&#33
wink.gif
. It started with just the two that were currently flowering 4 days ago, but that was ok. Then the next day 3 more clumps were dead. Yesterday i had only 2 clumps out of 9 left. Today one lowely plant left and it doesnt look good.

each day a few would start out looking kind of wilted and by night fall would be black with only a small white balls at the center. Could this be some form of fungus? Well i imagine by the time anyone reads this the last plant will have died and i will be out of luck. Should i give up and just throw out what is in there, should i wait and see if anything comes back? I dont know what to do, i sure it is too late for the plant that is in there.

Any insight into what might have caused this sudden die off would be very nice.

Thanks
Ktulu

Maybe you should transplant the surviving ones!? It sounds like something is eating/harming the roots! - Check the soil for woodlice and ants! There are these white bugs that can be annoying - They killed my fave african violet - They ate away the root!

If they are beyond repair but them into early dormacy - Maybe!

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

Lil_flytrap_boy

Hi Ktulu,

Sorry to hear about your problems with Drosera spatulata. What conditions are you growing them in? Has there been any change in their environmental conditions in the last week or two? Just trying to check all info!

It sounds like it could be some sort of fungus or pest attack, possibly. Don't throw the pot away though: many Drosera are very tough, resilient plants, and if the above ground parts die off, often they will return with new shoots from the roots, sometimes as long a 6 - 8 months later (assuming the roots haven't been attacked by pests of course), so be patient. Maybe you could try taking some leaf cuttings from the still-healthy clump/plant, also perhaps transplant the live plant into a fresh pot and compost (checking the plant + roots throughroughly for pests).

Let us know how it goes, and good luck.

kind regards,

Adam.  
smile.gif

Wales, UK

At this stage, I would completely repot the plant. I would rinse all the former medium from the plant by swishing it in a bucket of water, and repot it after pruning off all the old and dead leaves.

All I can do is assume this is a fungal problem. If it is advanced there may be little hope of recovery, but at this point it sounds like you don't have much to lose.

Sometimes these things just happen. Every once an a while one of my Drosera species will simply wither up and die while all the other plants next to it are fine. I always destroy the plants if I have others of the same species, fearing the infection will spread. If you have other plants, you might want to set this aside from your collection.

If you would like an assortment of seed of D. spatulata, I will be happy to send you some. PM me if interested.

well the last clump was dead today when i got up, so i figured there was no harm in digging up one side of the plant/clumps. The roots are completely black and mushy. I did notice small black bugs around where the roots should have been. Could this be the cause? Should i worry about my other plants in the terraruim? I didnt change the conditions at all in the last few months it all just quickly went down hill.

Unfortunately i think it is too late for this plant since all of the roots are black and mushy, but thanks for the advice. I have two cuttings from the plant when it was still heathy so
hopefully they will take.

Thanks again
Ktulu

Back