Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some D.mannii that are growing outdoors in a 7in pot. The temperatures average in the low-mid 80's, but the plants are still growing.
    Most of the pygmy sp. that I cultivate prefer a soil mix with excellent drainage. I have some pycnoblasta that are still growing during the summer. The mix for this sp. is composed mostly of perlite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am impressed that you have D. pyncoblasta still growing, and thanks for the tip. I always seem to lose this one over the summer and was planning on trying this season with pure laterite, but the pearlite sounds like a good alternative. Most of the "summer sensitive" species are found in lateritic soils in habitat so it makes sense that they would appreciate an airy mix.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tamlin,

So far the pycnoblasta are the only pygmy dews that I have in this mix(probably around 70-80% perlite), but I will try a couple more difficult sp. in this mix in the winter. The pycnoblasta that I have in my peat:sanderlite 2:1:1 have been dormant for more than a month at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I use a heavy sand and perilite mix (with peat)(1:1:1) for my Utrics. I wonder if this would be beneficial for my dews as well.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12