Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.adelae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

A lot of people use 100% inorganic materials to grow plants in so maybe thats what they ment. I've got a batch of seedlings like that, but I'm not sure they are all the same spiecies, although I think they are mostly if not all a form of spatulata, if anyone want to help ID them they are in the "Darcie's sundew pics" topic, hint hint, lol
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are 2 flower colour forms, red and greeny white. all adelae grow reddish narrower leaves in full sun & lower humidity. the young leaves of the species are more round and become narrow as the plant matures.
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very interesting topic. I have noticed a definite trend towards less coloration in plants grown in sphagnum moss. when I first started growing my D. falconeri in a mix of LFS and pearlite I got very little red to my plant, despite conditions of full sun. I top dressed the medium with iron rich laterite, and the plant colored to a deep red in a week.

(Joseph, could you post those comparison of your D. capillaris grown in both live moss and peat?)

I have little doubt that plants in peat are taking up something via the roots that is present in peat but
    is missing in LFS. I think also that PH does play a role in coloration, but I have not determined how great an effect this variation of Ph has.

Regarding the forms of D. adelae, light intensity dictates both lamina shape and coloration, but as CPk2 noted, there is a long thin leaved form that is distinct from other D. adelae, being almost linear with little widening of the lamina at the middle. Also, as a matter of observation, humidity levels are optional with this species. It will do fine in lower humidity conditions if weaned to them over time. I have also had them growing in nearly bone dry LFS! The trick is in acclimating them over time, or starting them in the conditions in which they will grow. Remember, even tropical Australia experiences very harsh summer conditions, and these plants have adapted to survive.

As always, I urge growers to experiment, and to push the limits. Don't accept the literature as gospel truth, but rather use it as a guide until you have sufficient material to experiment with. Once you have spare plants, try the "nevers" and forget the "always", but keep it in mind to go slow, or to start out hard from the seedling stage and let nature take its course. The best plants I have were grown outdoors from seed in as harsh an environment as possible, not from babying them in terraria.

D. adelae is a perfect example of "traditional" cultivation advice. Although the plants grow very well and quickly in wet conditions of low light, they assume a different character when grown in full sun and lower humidity. I grow mine both ways, and they all do well.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'Amato mentions in The Savage Garden that white flowered clones of D.adelae often change to red flowered forms. Maybe it has something to do with the soil mix or something else...[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has anything to do w/ soil mix or pH as I have a clone of his plant. When I first got it had red flowers. I think during Fall of last yr, they turned yellow. Now the flowers are red again. I have been using the same type of water and have not replanted. The plants have been in the same general location, so I don't think it's the light level either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, that is weird Emma.

You know, I think Tamlin is on to something with the iron suppliment. If the pygment relies on certain trapped minerals in the soil, peat is much more likely to have avalible minerals then the sphagnum.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I'll work on getting some cuttings going off my plant but it might be a bit. Until recently it was in the care of my bro-in-law but his track record with plants I have passed to him has been in steep decline so I pulled a rescue effort. So far the plant has quadrupled in size so it might be ready for a leaf cutting or two
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro,

Much appreciated. Don't stress it, though. I would rather you grow it large and healthy then weaken it by taking cuttings too early. If it's like most D. adelae, it should start propagating on it's own.
    Larerite has been used by others to encourage more red in their CP. Darn expensive stuff(in these parts)> i have a small box that cost me $15, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, laterite is expensive here too. I am fortunate to be able to get it at all in my little home town. I sure wish I could get a better deal as I believe this is the missing factor in some of the pygmy Drosera summer dormancy demands, but I need enough to fill a couple of gallon pots....not too likely a prospect!
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast