What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.adelae

hmm, that is weird Emma.

You know, I think Tamlin is on to something with the iron suppliment. If the pygment relies on certain trapped minerals in the soil, peat is much more likely to have avalible minerals then the sphagnum.

Joe,

I'll work on getting some cuttings going off my plant but it might be a bit. Until recently it was in the care of my bro-in-law but his track record with plants I have passed to him has been in steep decline so I pulled a rescue effort. So far the plant has quadrupled in size so it might be ready for a leaf cutting or two

Pyro,

Much appreciated. Don't stress it, though. I would rather you grow it large and healthy then weaken it by taking cuttings too early. If it's like most D. adelae, it should start propagating on it's own.
Larerite has been used by others to encourage more red in their CP. Darn expensive stuff(in these parts)> i have a small box that cost me $15, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Yes, laterite is expensive here too. I am fortunate to be able to get it at all in my little home town. I sure wish I could get a better deal as I believe this is the missing factor in some of the pygmy Drosera summer dormancy demands, but I need enough to fill a couple of gallon pots....not too likely a prospect!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Mar. 31 2003,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only CP I know to grow in both extream acid and extream base conditions is the Northern Purple Pitcher.  In acid it grows normal, but is Basic soils it turns green and is thinker and brittle.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually Darcie, I have been to both pH habitats of S. purpurea subsp. purpurea and the acids conditions result in deep red veined plants while the base or neutral are the same, and the Alkaline soils turn the plants bright red and the pitchers are almost like a glass...very tough yet not brittle. Nothing to do with the topic I know but I thought I would pick up on your comment.

Back