What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera info

W

Warped54321

When do drosea's start to flower, and after they do how long does it take for the seeds to mature...and what type of soil mixture do i use for them.Thanx.
-Warped

sorry...when i said soil mixture, i ment for the actual plant...nor for the seed (if it's different that is)
smile.gif

Hi,

As soil, I usually use a mixture of peat and sand. I use this for seeds, as well as for plants. The flowering time depends on the species. My Drosera rotundifolia for expample flowers mostly in mid may, while many others are in flower the whole year.

Christian

Ohhhh...peat and perlite...it seems like somebody told me just peat a while back
confused.gif
...and all year around, that's kinda odd...hehe..i'm new to sundews
wink.gif

-Warped

P.S. my sundew's a spathulate

Hello Warped54321,
So far there are no such carnivorous plants as "Drosea", they are called Drosera.

The genus Drosera vary so widely that there is no simple answer to your question. Some mature from seed to flowering plant in a few weeks, others can take years. There are usually some Drosera in bloom at any given minute.

If you use the search feature on a particular Drosera species you will most likely find cultural information. There is also a good deal of cultural information under the link, "Plant Care" above.

I usually harvest my seeds when most of the pods have turned brown. I usually do it while the top few pods remain green. If I wait for them all to turn brown, often the bottom pods will split and spill their seeds into nearby pots, creating Drosera weeds and confusion! Plants have different flowering rates: some Drosera species open a flower a day until all the flowers are done. Other flowers open individually one this week, one the next. Even if the flowers do not unfold, seed is produced in most of the readily available species.

Konnichiwa!

Yeah...sorry...i happen to make alot of typos
confused.gif

If this helps my dundew is a D.Spathulate. Thanx for all the help so far
smile.gif

well, my Drosera spatulata has been flowering since November, and has put up 7 flower stalks, and it is still flowering!

Konnichiwa!

It's been flowering since novemeber...wow.
I gotta couple other questions... When would be the best time to repot my sundew...and what in the world is stratification, ive heard of it and read about it a little but i still don't know very much about it.
sorry about all the typos i make
wink.gif

Some species seeds will not germinate well unless certain environmental conditions are met. There are enzymes in the seed coat that inhibit the germination until this happens. Some seed ( temperate North American species) requires a period of cold or freezing to trigger this process. Some Australian species seed is part of a "Fire Brush" ecology, and actually needs to be exposed to heat and/or smoke before it will germinate, often taking years. The use of GA-3 often breaks the bonds of dormancy.

The best time to transplant any palnt is when it is in full and active growth, but really any time is suitable for the specie you mention. I believe I made a post on this subject that should still be up.

Our editor will help you with the spelling/typing issues, and after awhile you will be correcting mis-spelled binomials on your own, lol.

Konnichiwa!

Well I repoted my Sundew, I used one part Peat and one part perlite (i actualy used a little more peat, but not much more
wink.gif
) It seems to be ALIVE for now.
confused.gif

Back