What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown and dead like

sad.gif
my pathedic skills in growing sundew may have been lethal this time. All of my big sundew have now turned brown and look very much dead. Should I leave them and prey for new growth or would it be better to put some soil over the top to help trigger new growth (if any is to be found) or what? I'm such a dork with sundew... at least I still have my mini freaks.

Some species will return from the roots, just leave it sit as it is and hope for the best.

Thanks Tamlin. I feel like such a dork. It seems like I do everything wrong with my sundews. *sigh* Their spatulata so at least they have a chance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ July 29 2003,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Tamlin.  I feel like such a dork.  It seems like I do everything wrong with my sundews. *sigh*  Their spatulata so at least they have a chance.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've noticed spatulata seedlings dont like hot temps... got up to 100 in my greenhouse 3 days ago, it wiped them all out
sad.gif

Spec,

Temperatures get pretty hot in the Indo-Asia area where these plants are native, and I have grown them in absurdedly hot situations. The alpine forms are more sensitive, and it seems to me the lighter the color of the flower, the cooler they prefer things to be, but all should be capable of being grown in a greenhouse. Were there any other factors that might have caused them to die off?

I bet it was sudden heat shock. Also, if I remember correctly, Spec and I have the same strain of plant, or am I confused? Whatever it was with mine, they all wiped out while the other spiecies in the same pot thrived.

Back