What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedlings

I just recieved some seedlings in the mail and have just planted them in a 50/50 mix in live moss they are temperate anglica and rotundifolia and well this is my first time with dews so any info would be helpfull

Thanx

If you have seedlings in live moss they will be too quickly overgrown by the moss. Did you first mill the moss, like in a food processor? what was the other component of the 50/50 mix? Although anglica likes live moss when mature, you would do better with a 50/50 sand/peat until the plants get some heft to them, which might be 4-5 months. Anglica wants a lot of feeding to attain a good robust size, but it is a real beauty! Do you have the temperate or the tropical form?

well i didn't really mill it in a food processer but i riped it apart with my hand and the other 50 was I know this is probably bad but its vermiculight I do plan on keeping the moss cut and down i have them in a plastic waterbottle cut in half with holes punched in the bottem sitting in a tray of water
um what do u meen buy lots of feeding ther arent even any leaves fully open to make dew however right now they seem to be doing good

the container there in shields most of the wind so I have them in the sun for most of the day at night I bring them inside and place them buy a window with plastic bags overthem to catch some humidity sometimes I put a light on them when there in the bag just to get the humidity started I then turn it off

oh my dews are both temperate

thanx for the info
Kyle.W

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kyle6002 @ Aug. 16 2002,08:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the container there in shields most of the wind so I have them in the sun for most of the day[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ohh is it fully covered when in the sun, or when you say shielding the wind is that partially covered? If it gets really sunny or hot don't leave a cover on or it may cook the seedlings...but if its just a 'wall' kind of cover/shielding just ignore what I said.

That moss will quickly overwhelm the plants, be very careful! Also the info about cooking them is right on target. Anglica hates hot roots, esp. the temperate form.

By heavy feeding, I mean the plants need bugs. I feed every leaf of my juvenille plants as soon as they are large enough to accept prey.

They will need to grow quickly if they are to survive their required dormancy!

Back