What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundews eat human flesh!

An accident left me with a small quantity of my own skin to use as I wished (putting it back to its original use being impossible).

So I fed it to my new plant, since I had no tubifex at the time and I will not capture insects for it.

Success! The mass of dermal tissue has been reduced about 75% over two days, and the plant (an adelae, I think) is doing well. (I'm still a little sore, but this isn't the steveo forum, now is it?.)

My only concern is that it may have developed a taste for me.

Steve

Very morbid, but true. The protolytic enzymes will indeed attack human tissue. This is a good lead in for a warning: if you get dew on your skin, be sure to wash it off. Sores from this take a good while to heal. Binata is especially caustic.

WOW... an excellent reason not to taste the dew!! :eek:

D'oh! I tasted it, no ill effects
smile.gif

I've touched the dew, but I've never washed it off right away, just when I go inside the house.

Still tempted to lick my S. minor though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Tamlin Dawnstar on 11:19 am on May 20, 2002
Very morbid, but true.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I looked at it as XTreme CPing.
smile.gif
After all the care I have lavished on these plants, feeding myself to them seemed the funniest and most obvious thing to do.

I really can't help looking at these things through a Charles Addams-ish lens--they are meticulously designed, and very beautiful, but Gothically so. If others can see only their beauty, and not the, erm, less aesthetically pleasing qualities of the plants, they have my admiration.

Thanks for the heads-up on the dew. It doesn't surprise me.
smile.gif

Steve

(Edited by steveo at 3:37 pm on May 20, 2002)

You guys are wierd.
smile.gif

so, you're taking the seymour krelborn approach from little shop of horrors, huh? well, keep us posted if your dew starts saying "feed me"!

Ewwww Steveo. That is a bit gross. lol Not something I would have thought of doing though I have lost many a chunk of skin to various accidents.

I have never liked getting sundew goo on me...it grosses me out, I guess because its so...snot-like. I think that stuff looks far better on my plant than on me.

Suzanne

This is getting more gross than maggits.:(

I was so intrigued that I cut a chunk of meat off of my arm and fed it to my sundews... it hurt a little but whatever makes my plants happy..
wink.gif

Stop it!
sad.gif

blood bounces on ice

I once had a D. capensis give me a mild burn on the back of my knuckles when I did not realize I had contacted it, ouch.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from timbudtwo on 5:33 pm on May 22, 2002
blood bounces on ice
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

REALLY?
confused.gif
That is so kewl! I cant wait to tell my heamophobic friend!

Back