What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not eating!

Then I don't get what my problem is...
confused.gif
sad.gif

20% RH? I highly doubt it. Do you know how dry that is???

Parasuco-

Yeah I do here in Arizona we get 9% humidity sometimes. Right now our humidity is at 24%.

Heres some of the  posts that said that from another cp fourm  ->

Posted by WEST 9b/AZ (My Page) on Thu, Oct 17, 02 at 18
wow.gif

Hi,
I just got my 4 D.capensis sundews in the mail today. How long should I be keeping the shop lights on for this time of year? the plants are about 11-12 inches away from the lights. They seem to be drying out a lil so I have a lid on the 20 gal fish tank that covers 2 3rds of it . The peat 50% perlight 50% mix is 7 inches deep and the bottem 2 1/2 inches are under water . Dose this sound like it will be ok ?

I live in the dry dry state (AZ) I dont want to take the lid of I fear they will die on me. Haveing 2 3rds covered do you think they will get the fresh air they need ?

Thanks

_-West-_

--------------------
Posted by: Rita_h PNW 8b (My Page) on Thu, Oct 10, 02 at 16:57

Hey, West, I have a d. capensis growing in a small pot sitting in a saucer of water by an east-facing window. The humidity in winter drops to something like 20 percent but it seems to be fine without an enclosure, so I bet your terrarium setup would be great even without a lid.
It flowers about 3 times a year and would make tons of seed if I let the spike mature, but I cut them off (too messy -- tiny black seeds all over the counter...) I've never tried to sow the seeds.

-------------------------

Posted by: cpxpert (My Page) on Sat, Oct 19, 02 at 19:26

Hello West, to keep these plants doing well year round 14 hours a day under 160 watts of florescent light works fine. You can have lower amounts of light, however the 160 with that distance will do just fine. Shouldn't need the lid on the tank, if it is now slowly open it over the coarse of a few days to prevent leaf burning.

---------

Posted by: Clemmie z9 CA (My Page) on Wed, Oct 9, 02 at 18:35

Don't put a lid on the tank for air circulation. Or just grow them in a south facing windowsill in a regular houseplant pot.

-------------------

See
smile.gif
everone there said humidity with the cape is not a prob.

There are many reasons for the plant failing to dew. Based on what you have said, I get the feeling that the plant may have experienced a fungal attack which affected the glands. The fogger was not a good idea: droserae do not need this type of treatment. Spatulata will do well with 40% humidity.

The fungus can hit the glands, killing them, and cause dewlessness. I suggest that you reduce humidity some. I assume you are using flourescent lights, and that your water is good (i.e. mineral free distilled or rain water, or RO water). Everything sounds good, so I assume the period where the plant was wet also favored fungal growth.

Are there new leaves being produced by the plant?

The photoperiod would not affect this species.

Yes, it does show new growth...a couple new sprouts at any given time.
smile.gif
The fogger only serves really to "mist" the inside of the tank to up the humidity some when it drops. I had thought it would'nt affect things negatively for the plant since the mist doesn't settle on the leaves given the placement of the plant from the fogger...could it really be the problem? Fungus could be possible I suppose, although I have done everyhing I can to keep the conditions good for the plants and no other plants are having problems. I keep the tray filled with distilled water at all times, so the soil is very moist, and it's elevated closer to the light. It was within 4 inches, but that didn't seem to help and the florescent bulbs I use let off slight heat (nothing extreme), so I thought maybe it was keeping the leaves of the plant too dry? So I lowered it to about 7 inches from the lights.
confused.gif

Everything sounds in order. Give it a little time, and it should adjust. Re: the fogger - I feel that overly high humidity produces soft, weak plants easily prone to fungal attack. Lower humidity along with air circulation works well for me. Experimentation is always good though - many times I have found that the standard ideas are in error. Good luck with your plant, and let me know if you need an eventual replacement.

Haha! 'Exchange or return?" LOL! I will continue to experiment, including less use of the fogger and all that. I keep trying to adjust and change things to see if some things work better than others. I will give it a little recoup time and see what happens.
smile.gif

It's dewing, it's dewing! My sundew is developing dew now, I'm so proud!
smile.gif

I fed it today too, it didn't roll up or move though at it's been about 5 hours. That's ok right?
confused.gif

Hi CN,
I find that some of my Capenisies move, and some don't when fed. I think it may have something to do with where on the leaf the prey lands...I'm not sure. But whether or not the leaf moves, it still digests the food.
smile.gif

Back