What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, i dun no wuts wrong with me and pygmies...

Well, it seems most of the Lake Badgerpud (spelling is wrong lol) is dying, even though i was told to grow them outdoors. All my pygmies are on theyre way out and my last hope are some hyperostigma gemmae donated from Tamlin. Man...i thought i was an Iron Chef of Drosera, but the pygmies! my god the pygmies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sad.gif

Pygmy species often do not transplant well. Great care must be taken not to damage the fine hairlike roots, and to ensure that they are properly seated in the medium. After transplant, the plants are in a delicate condition, and must slowly be weaned to strong light. This process takes weeks, and during this time they require less intense conditions. The gemmae I sent should be sown on 60/40 washed silica sand (not river sand) and peat, and left standing in a watering tray) Since your conditions seem to be quite harsh, I recommend that you give them only direct morning sun for a few hours until they establish themselves, gradually increasing the period of sun over successive weeks.

Hey Ceph88,
sorry to hear that:( What conditions are you growing them in? Temperatures? Humidity? Light? Do you happen to be growing them in a large pot? I have never had pygmies do well in small pots in sun.

Tamlin,
The pygmies you sent me are doing quite well:) The only two that died are the callisto and pygmaea 'NZ'. The pulchella pink flower are over an in. and the eneabba, ericksoniae, xcarburup and pygmaea 'ESA' are approaching an in:)

This was how I proceeded with transplanting of the pygmies: I planted the plants in a peat:sand 1:1 mix. Next, I put the plants under 50% shade and watered them. My pygmies are grown under 50% shade all day, so the lighting was not decreased. Full sun for even an hour a day for my plants seem to cause the plants to grow compact rosettes and remain small.

Lets see here, i have them outside. D.rotundfolia and my vfts and sarracneia do great outdoors, but im not sure about the humidity. All are in 6inch pots. To insure i have somethig left, imma going to take in the gemmae indoors into my terrarium till they sprout. 2 sprouted but i think the sun killed em. I gotta be careful!!!!! All natural light from morning till about 5. Man, i dun get pygmies! Well, i guess ill bring in all the dying pygmies for one last chance along with the gemmae. Wish me luck-Zach

San Francisco has pretty high humidity. It's surrounded by water except for south of the city. The link below will tell you the weather, including humidity in San Francisco. I think it's updated every hour. Not sure.

Goto: http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCA0987

I may be off base, but I thought pygmies were cool weather plants and will go dormant in the warmer weather. Could temp. have anything to do with it?

Back