What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundew seeds

Hi

I managed to get hold of a sundew (drosera rotundifolia) in the summer. Ive just realised that it has produced seeds but I decided for some reason that it would be a good idea to plant them just now. Have i done the right thing? (im thinking i've not!&#33
wink.gif
and how would it be best to look after them? (I'm in the uk&#33
wink.gif

I'm sorry but thats a northern plant. You'll have to pop the seeds in the frige untill spring.

ok thanks
biggrin.gif
will i need to use fungicide in the pots as well?

The vernalization/stratification is not always 100% essential. It depends on how important a good strong germination is to you. While I was collecting the seed from my Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera anglica I invariably dropped some onto the media next to the parent plants. It has already sprouted and produced 1/4 inch seedlings. So, sometimes they sprout and grow immediately, go figure.
biggrin.gif

I live in finland and here grow wild d.rotundifolia and d.anglica.
if somebody wants seeds for those two I can change for some other seeds.

Your best bet for getting responses to that is to post it in the "Carniverous Plant Trading Post" forum. I'm sure lots of people would be interested in those seeds inclusing myself, I just have nothing left to trade except mimosa.
wink.gif

Back