What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera spatulata nz x d. oblolanceolata

Hi Noah,

I thought you might appreciate seeing the flower of your generosity in replacing this beautiful hybrid Ivan Snyder created that I lost. I was struck with the way the buds looked like the New Zealand spatulata and the flower nearly white like on the plants there. The ringlike effect seen in the petals though, that is D. oblolanceolata looking out at you!

I sent this to Robert Gibson as a tease. Robert and I have played the game where I send him a scan, and he replies as soon as he recognizes it. (He got my juvenille D. uniflora in about 2 mins.!&#33
wink.gif
This one sort of got him. He guessed D. spatulata NZ, and I awarded him the point, since I cheated by showing him a scan of a recently created hybrid.

It is a beautiful thing to see, here on the first day of spring!

Drosera_spatulata_x_D_oblolanceolata_IS_flowers_r.jpg

Very nice Tamlin!
later,

Hi Tamlin,

Glad it is growing so well for you this time around! Yes, the flowers are indeed beautifull. I have been growing mine outdoors since I got it and on sunny days I often see a flower open. Quite a nice plant.

I like your Robert Gibson story
biggrin.gif
you are mean....
tounge.gif

Have you done any cross polinating with it yet? I think Ivan told me that though the flower is not self-fertile the pollen is good.

-noah

Noah,

I have not tried crossing it yet, but if my own hybrid D. capillaris x D. oblolanceolata flowers at the same time I would like to try this cross to see what comes of it.

Back