Thread: FisH/plant food

San Ramon, California
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive found, that i you take a very tiny bit of flake fish food, and put it in water and dissolve (or make a mush out of it, one drop of that stuff will make your nepenthes love you for life. I tried that and my nepenthes grew 25% faster than normal! It was gone the next day when i put it on my spathulata! I dono what you guys think, but hey, you should try it. I said it because of chephalotus88's post about fish pellets.

(Edited by timbudtwo at 12:58 pm on May 18, 2002)

South Florida
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    how much? like 1 fish flake in how much of water and then you water the plant with that stuff?

OK, I've got this fishfood for hatchlings which is powdered stuff. This is something Tom Hayes turned me onto a few years ago and I have had mixed results with it. I've never done any controlled experiments but some plants seem to like it, a few don't (montana tomentosa comes to mind). I use very little of it at once, dipping a toothpick into the powdered stuff. I've also wet it in the past. The biggest problem is that it will grow fungus/mold pretty quickly in a very humid terrarium, but occasional misting will take care of this. Also, runoff into the soil can't be too good.... You might want to experiment with spray fertilizers as its a lot easier to apply the stuff. However, my experiments with Miracid vs. Miracle-gro have had mediocre results. I think the Miracid is better BUT must be used in moderation. The control (sprayed with H20) grew pretty well. The Miracle-Gro plants nearly kicked the bucket after a few applications. I could have used too much / too frequently. Anyway, after my next plant sale (when I hopefully free up some space), I think I am going to do some more experimentation. I would have tested Superthrive as well but I couldn't find my bottle so had to reorder it....