User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got a tip for feeding dews...

.....Hope I didn't scare you guys with that last post. Just wanted to say I'm freaked out by maggits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA! 8-)

I'm no fan of maggots either but I do breed the fruitflies-my small nepenthes love em and I also feed them to my killifish but I keep the fly cultures outta sight cos it is nasty!

I've tried feeding my sundews fruitflies (they get up and walk away) and rehydrated bloodworms-the bloodworms get fungusy-how do you stop that from happening?

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darthbuck does the hamburger help? It does say hamberger helper. But ive never really, you know, asked the noodles what they thought of the idea of intergration.

Rotten milk smells TERRIBLE. Also, to add to my other post about powdered fish food, the leaf it's applied to will sometimes die after feeding. If you want beautiful looking plants and don't mind if they grow slowly, don't feed them at all :)

Fruit Flies? BE CAREFUL! I bought a culture at a reptile show and they introduced mites into one of my terraria. I wish I could find a source for some "clean" fruit flies or even springtails. One of my friends has a crane fly infestation in his greenhouse - his sundews are VERY well fed and grow really fast.

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey swords,

The bloodworms are usually attacked by fungus if 1) the plant is in a high-humidity environment or 2) if the leaf on which you're applying the bloodworm isn't bedewed, covered with mucous.

You can kill the fungus by using a q-tip to dab isopropyl (70% rubbing alcohol) onto the fungus. It works, but a good chunk of the leaf is also damaged.

Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 5:53 am on May 25, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You breed fruitflies? Do you keep fruits in your house? I'm not surprised if some end up in them while your taking a bite. YUCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Matt in regards to terrarium grown plants: feeding them produces more problems than it solves. My plants go out into nature in the summer, and feed then as they will. In the fall I trim the dead lower leaves before placing them in terraria, and they get no further feeding until the spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they're a specificall bred fruitfliy who does not fly they have useless wings so they can only hop. Poison Frog keepers also grow plenty of fruitflies (1 32 oz culture for each 2-3 frogs) as these frogs need minute food-2 week old crickets re too large). I don't keep my fruitflies in the kitchen next to the fruit of coutrse! They are in a tank stand under my 25 gallon aquarium on the other end of the house.

You can buy mite and aphid killing contact paper to line your fruitfly shelf or cabinet with it and this will keep your cultures from getting infested.

Yes, all my CPs are in high humidity terrariums (the sundews are dewy) my 2nd story condo is too warm & dry (even with 5 aquatic plant and fish aquariums full of water) for even the hardiest of normal plants. Cati might do good here if I had good windows but I don't even have that... so everything is in a terrarium. DO sundews not need as high humidity as say a Nepenthes?
    I've always strived for the highest humidity possible. I do have a D. adelae in a pot with my N. ventricosa and it's never gotten larger than 1" tall (it's been there since Feb). My other adelae are 8" across or so in cooler slightly less humid terrariums.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast