What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk dews

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Hi,

I don't have any sundews... yet. They do however have my interest. I have been lurking on this topic for a few weeks, now it's time to ask the question.

What do you like most about them? What draws you too them over other CPs (if anything)? I want to hear about the plants from the people who love them.

I am extending an open invitation for you to brag, I want to hear it, tell me everything about your dews (or the ones you wish you had) whatever you want to tell me about them I want to hear.

Ready? Go!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> What do you like most about them? What draws you too them over other CPs (if anything)? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Take a look at the picture of Drosera capillaris that PinguiculaMan posted in another thread. It answers that question better than words possibly could.

Well there is no way I can brag...especially when Tamilin is thee all time king of sundews
biggrin.gif
. But I all have to say is the few sundews I do have are healthy as of today...tomorrow is a different day.
wink.gif
I have 2 adalaes, 1 capenisis, and 1 pygme (?).

travis

Many things:

- They are always the same, yet constantly changing
- They sparkle
- They eat where you can watch the entire process, for the most part
- Many of them are easy to keep
- Many can be grown from seed quickly and easily
- Many can be quickly propagated vegetively

What draws me to dews? Well, when they're this beautiful and sparkly, its easy to see why people like sundews so much.
smile.gif

extreme_closeup.jpg

#1. I can raise a cool plant that is also found in the wild nere my home (because sundew are so dispersed, this is true for a lot fo people
smile.gif

#2. They kined of help keep tiney bugs from anoying my less sticky VFTs

#3. little cute itty bitty sparkly, what more do you want?

#4. Their are lots of them, they are easy to grow and they makes lots of seed, so their is actually a chance to fined them for sale, plus, you can grow a plant from a seed, something that is nere imposible with VFT... did I mention I also like VFTs lol!

They are supurb! not too big and not too small, and there are alot of different kinds to suit your needs. And they look great with other CP's, but even better with other dews, like my 3 sisters's tank with: D.profilera, adelae, and schizandra. Also, if you want to see a kick-butt dew, check out D.regia, marston-dragon, or slackii.

If you havnt already, go to Tamlins webpage, those plants give you reason enough to love this genus! That is my answer to why I like them... great looking little plants!

Cole

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cephalotus88 @ Dec. 05 2002,4:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are supurb! not too big and not too small, and there are alot of different kinds to suit your needs. And they look great with other CP's, but even better with other dews, like my 3 sisters's tank with: D.profilera, adelae, and schizandra. Also, if you want to see a kick-butt dew, check out D.regia, marston-dragon, or slackii.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
where did you get the other three sisters?!? all I could find and get was adelae.
confused.gif
I've been looking everywhere for them!

Well... I should answer the main question
confused.gif
After reading everyone else posts
confused.gif
I enjoy the dew part of the sundew the most and the fact you can see the insect struggle right in front of your eyes. The pure #### the insects go through trying to escape...there is no better feeling. Just gives me that warm cuddling feeling seeing bugs die. Spiders and ants mostly are the ones that I enjoy.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
Ya baby, DIE!!! Do I regret saying that "no" after all they are insects!
wink.gif

travis

the 3 sisters eh.....well, i got the schizandra from someone at a BACPS meeting, and the profilera from a friend

Wow.. those pictures are stunning, I see the attraction, which means I now have one last question.

Any recomendations for a starter plant or 2 (dozen
biggrin.gif
)?

If I were you, I would look around Naples. Look for fresh water wet spots. Road-side drainage ditches are prime spots. There are probably several species right in your local area.

hmm, there's a thought.. Hadn't thought of that... hehehe I think I have to drag my hubby out into the "wilderness" this weekend... LOL He hates that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ Dec. 06 2002,3:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm, there's a thought.. Hadn't thought of that... hehehe I think I have to drag my hubby out into the "wilderness" this weekend... LOL He hates that.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmmmmm...
wink.gif

Random Brag:
I have 10 little sundew now Weeeeeee! And it looks like all three types have sprouted (although two types I have look a lot a like so I'll have to wait till they grow up to know for surtain)

Drosera species are the "tropical fish" of the CP world - enough alike in requirements to be able to grow most species, and different enough to be able to apply specific skills. Most are within the scope of the average grower in terms of availability, but still others that are rare and a challenge to find. Variable in size from a centimeter in diameter to the size of a shrub. Their colors are many hued. I consider them the most exciting of all CP species.

Woo, nice analogy(sp?) Tamlin
smile.gif
I'll have to remember that one

So?

How goes the hunt for wild Drosera?

Back