What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think i succeeded in crossing..

schloaty

Staff member
Well folks, I've gone and done it. Went out on the deck yesterday, and found that my typical capensis and my spatulata were flowering simultaneously. RAN inside (almost killed myself tripping over the cat) to get my tweezers. Removed the stamens (anthers? whatever it is that holds the pollen..forgive me) with the tweezers, and trasferred the pollen to the other flower...
Here's to hoping...anyone know if this cross is even possible? I was so pyched to actually have flowers openning together I didn't even give that a second thought!

*****Crosses fingers and wishes Schloaty luck!******

Schloaty,

Don't forget to mention to everyone that the flowers closed soon after the attempted cross.

Btw, I verified it, it definately is a viable cross.  Apparently Kamil Pasek was growing it awhile back. Can't seem to find any pictures though.

On another note, from what i've also seen, it's normally a sterile hybrid.  ICPS had something written on colchine treatments that included this.

Btw, did you also do the inverse cross?

Botany 101: you are right in both case for the parts holding pollen: the whole male structure in a flower is called stamens, and the upper part of this structure is the anther.

good luck with this cross and let us notified! I am curious to see the offsprings!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Btw, did you also do the inverse cross?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Why, yes I did! I figured, "what shall I do with these stamens that I removed from the capensis....Hmmmm, well I already removed the stamens from the spatulata, so viola!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am curious to see the offsprings![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tom, you and me both! If this works I will absolutely flip! Kinda like the first time I successfully rooted a nep cutting....
rolleyes.gif

Good luck!

You must remember though, that unless you removed the stamens from flower #1 before the pollen was mature, pollinating it as well with pollen from flower #2 will not necessarilly result in a cross. Flower #1 could also have self-pollinated itself, as drosera often do.

As it is you are likely to get pure selfed seed, with possibly some hybrid seeds mixed in
confused.gif

-noah
smile.gif

Noah,
I was pretty carefull when I removed the stamens...but you're right, there may have been some selfing involved...I'll just have to sow everything and see, now won't I?
rolleyes.gif

As far as ripe goes, though, since the flowers were fully open, I assume the pollen was ripe. Hope I'm right about that.

Not necessarily, but GOOD LUCK! This could be a very interesting plant.

Good luck!

On that note, my d.intermedia and d.capensis are sending flower stalks simultaneously too, so there's a chance they could flower together as well!

Any advice on how to cross pollinate them? I really have no knowledge of a flower's anatomy
smile.gif

I would take the pollen from each and dab it on to the stigma of another

I will add. I attempted a cross of my alba to a spat. The flower closed and is now swelling. We shall see.

Remember to keep track of which bud you polliated! Good luck with your experiment.

Hi Guys,
The cape flower that I pollinated with spat pollen has yielded a small number of seeds (15 or so). I have sown these (about 3 days ago) in hopes they aren't the result of accidental selfing. We shall see. The reverse cross did not yield any seeds for me. I will be keeping an eye on the pot I sowed the seeds in. I will update you all when (if) I get sprouts.
biggrin.gif

Cool. I just did the same with some form of binata, and my D. collinsiae. Should be real nice, although i haveto say that binata crossed with D. capensis or regia would be even better
biggrin.gif
. Just waitin for seed now...

I've got seed.  This was actually between a spat and a pygmie.  The spat has seeds.  Well, we will see if it took and if it will grow.

Did the cross also between a nidiformis and pygmie, but no seed.

Congrats Copper! It would be neat if you got a pygmy look alike the size of a Spatulata!

SF

Or a spat that grows gemmae!

Well, I think it will probably be just a spat, but my fingers are crossed. I am not sure that the cross is even possible. Are the spat and pygmie even truly similar?

i plan on crossing my d. capensis alba with d. dielsiana but i barely have no time and the flowers keep selfing before i can polliante , but if it does stop raining then i'll try and probably name the hybird d. x capensiana alba .:O

Back