What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. 'marston dragon'

Hey gang, here's a pic of my Marston Dragon.  Does anyone have any reason to believe this isn't a Marston Dragon?

These first two are old pics, the last one is more current.

md1.jpg

md2.jpg

I did root cuttings of my main plant and here are the babies.  They aren't as forked as the mature plant, but they're getting there  
smile.gif

md3.jpg

Hi Larry

Great pics! What a beautiful plant. Lucky you...I don't have one of those yet but one day...!

Its nice to know spring is coming here and soon I'll be watching plants grow again.

Suzanne

...i don't know.
wink.gif
but it sure is a beautiful plant!!
later,

Larry,

How long have you grown this plant? It looks huge(size of pot?)
smile.gif

Cp2k,
In the last pic, there are 5 plants in a 4" pot.  These were from root cuttings from my adult plant that I took about ,oh, half a year ago.  These "babies" are growing such big roots its coming out of the drainage holes.  Looks like i better transplant them to a 6" pot, and do more roots cuttings while I'm at it  
biggrin.gif

Suzanne, thanks for the compliment.  Acquiring this plant was quite an ordeal.  Very few places had it for sale, and when they did, it was terribly expensive.  But eventually, I found a place and worked out a nice trade
smile.gif

Larry,

Maybe you ought to go for the old one gallon pot on those, lol.
It's amazing how expensive it is to buy these, considering the ease of propagating them.

Regards,

Joe

One determining characteristic of Marston Dragon is, from the cultivar description: "A curious characteristic of the blade is the manner in which the segments spread sideways, often to a great length, the points curving round and clutching the air like talons, the whole reminding one very much of the feet of a chinese dragon."
A photo is at
http://www.sarracenia.com/photos2/dbina01.jpg

-Bob-

Thanks Bobz,
I read that, but still don't fully understand what he meant. Is he saying after the intial split into 2 parts, there's a big distance before it splits again? Or is he saying all growth after the split point spreads sideways to a great length. I know, it's hard to visualize. Like a "T" with the top part continuing to grow sideways? I've seen pictures, but can't visually tell them apart from "multifida" or "extrema".

Anyone else have any opinions?

Good stuff, Bob. I would say he has the real thing, but from the official description you linked us with, it was hard to tell until the last pic with all the plants in one pot.

Regards,

Joe

That looks like the real thing. Iirc, one of its parents should be a D. multifida extrema, thus the similarities.

Back