What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis died into black mass

I did something quite stupid. My capensis was sprouting new dewy leaves and all after blackening away for the last mth. Then I decided to repot them, split the separate plants up into new medium. Well I separated them into 8 plants, but 6 of them have died into some black mass. The green centre where the new leaves came up from is now black. Sigh, I thought capensis were tougher than this.

Anyway, will they come back from the black mass? I've read enuff posts of capensis being indestructible and all... so will they come back? If they do, is it from their roots or from the black mass?

Thanks.

As long as the roots are still healthy and you keep the medioum moist they should grow back.

Don't give up on them. It might take a while but they should come back. Just keep it wet...and wait. I had a pot destroyed by squirrels and it came back with tons of new plants. Looked great this year.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice. I shall leave them wet then. But the state of detrcution is quite bad. the centres of the plants are dead.

If you still have any healthy looking leaves on it, it might not be a bad idea to start a cutting. If the mother plant goes on to the great garden in the sky, at least you will have a cutting to replace the plant. If its too late, I wouldnt worry too much. So many people have capensis that it shouldnt be too hard to find a replacement plant.

Good luck
Steve

But it is so strange that almost all the CP growers in Singapore have their D. capensis dying on them after a few months. Some of these growers are quite successful in growing Drosera (e.g. D. intermedia, D. filiformis, D. paradoxa, D. burmanii, D. binata), but somehow, D. capensis always dies after a few months. I cannot undertstand it. Is it that the weather in Singapore is so harsh that even D. capensis cannot survive?

Harsh in Singapore? AMybe the heat but harsh is when your greenhouse heat goes out and most of your collection is frozen to -15 F! Never fear capensis shall return as my cold plants did.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, all mine died. Indestructable? Sigh...
Appears that D. intermedia grows much better here in Singapore! Almost like weed. What would I give for a D. capensis weed...

It's the microbio stuff in the air. The plants grown here are resistant to them.

D.capensis is not. Perhaps if we can get a plant to survive the weather here long enough, we can get a new sub-species?

I hope.
rolleyes.gif

I think that the only hope of us growers in Singapore getting a capensis that can spread like weeds here is to get tons of seeds from any willing friends out here and try to germinate them. The seedling or seedlings that can successfully germinate and grow would probably be the fittest and most resistant to whatever microbes we have in the air. Maybe we can than call it the D. capensis 'Indestructable' or 'Super Weed' cultivar?

What exactly is this microbial stuff in Singapore's air that's so deadly to capensis?

some of my D cap leaves are drying up toobut my D cap produces quite alot of leaves so its mostly young green leaves without dew, oh and i took off about 6 baby D caps while repotting, i got the roots and the rizhome they look healthy to me,

do you think they will survive?

It sounds like the plants could use more humidity-give that a try.

Er..., unless you live in high-rise apartment, most parts of Singapore usually experience high humidity ca. 60-100% everyday.

My capensis that died actually came back from the brink before. It was drying up very quickly a while ago then it decided to put out new leaves, although paler, but these had dew. Then I decided to repot them and now they're all black. I got a new pot of capensis and it's still quite dewy now but the true test is whether its flower stalk survives to provide seed. That has never happened for me.

Strangely though, yes, the intermedia grows very quickly. And so does filiformis. It's just this capensis!

Does anyone know why this happens? Is it fungus? Mold? I've lost sooo many capensis to this over the years and I don't know why it happens. They just suddenly turn black and die back to nothing
confused.gif

Purp dew:please don`t leave the forums please don`t leave the forums please don`t leave the forums!

I don't have a difinitive answer for the turning black of the Drosera capensis. The only time I ever experienced this happening was any time I accidentally let them get too dry. They responded quickly and decisively by doing exactly as described --- turning black and dying, however, they will usually form new plants from the remaining roots - I believe this is a documented strategy the plants use in their natural environment as well.

Back