Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Drosera, Utrics and Pinguicula; these tiny seeds should be planted on top of the substrate (not buried).
    Nepenthes also germinate well on the surface.
    Sarracenia should be very lightly covered, so that you cannot see the seeds, but no more than that. I have also had good germination from seeds that were not covered at all.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very first time I attempted growing Droserae from seed, I made the "mistake" of misting them after they were sowed. But you know what, they germinated anyways. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I sowed them 2 weeks ago now. Is it still too soon to tell? Or has it been long enough now that I should've seen something and if I don't I should start over?
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had tropical seed germinate 2 months after sowing. Be patient.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone should try "scarifying" these seeds some time. I guess you could grind them up againced one another or smack em with a mallot a few times. Something to make them think they have been heavly weatherd. I am guessing the only reson they germinate at all is the acid in the soild and the osmotic properties of distilled water.... I have a couple extra seeds but I don't want to risk them. To bad I used all my Capillies they have a heavyer seed and would be a good test subject.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be doing something wrong....

On Oct. 13 -
    I started germinating d. peltata, d. spatulata and d. intermedia

On November 6 -
    d. aliciae

On November 11 -
    d. burmanii
    d. dielsiana

I am seeing nothing at all from any of them. I understand some may take quite some time, but I would have thought that with all the different varieties I would have seen at least on sprout from at least one variety by now.
    They were all sown on peat/sand, in my terrarium and bottom watered. I'm afraid to try with the gemmae until I figure out what I could be doing wrong. I don't want to lose all my seed. Any suggestions? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much - Drosera seeds can be slow to germinate sometimes. I sowed some D.peltata (and other tuberous / winter growing species) in the first week of October, and no germination yet - except the possible beginnings of D.macrantha ssp planchonii I noticed just today. In fact, some Drosera can take anything from several months to more than a year to germinate, especially tuberous ones!

The conditions that you describe sound ok.

The D.peltata usually takes from 1 to 4 months to germinate - make sure it has fairly COOL (not cold) nighttime temperatures, say 5 to 10C, and not more than 20C in the daytime, as tuberous species grow in the cooler wetter winters in their native habitat, and the nights can get quite chilly, and this helps to trigger germination and growth. If the seed hasn't germinated by early summer, slowly dry the pots out over the summer, then place in water again from early to mid-September: they may germinate next autumn!

As for D.spatulata, D.aliciae, and D.dielsiana, these are species that don't go dormant, and should germinate in time under your conditions. What temperatures do you maintain the terrarium at? (night? day?). They may wait until the new year / early spring, when the day length starts to increase again and temperatures slowly rise, before they germinate.

D.burmannii is a tropical/sub-tropical species (usually classed as an annual, but it will live longer, even several years, with special care - eg if you cut the flower stems from some of the plants to prevent seed), and will germinate well usually if kept fairly warm.

D.intermedia - depends on the type: do you know if it's a tropical form (eg from Cuba or Brazil) or temperate form (N.America / Europe)? Temperate forms need to have their seeds cold stratified, for example by placing the pot in a fridge (not freezer) for at least a month or two, or outside in the winter. They will then germinate in the spring/summer.

Actually, the ICPS has a good germination guide at it's website:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...dgermguide.htm

Anyway, I usually keep pots of sown Drosera seed for at least a year! You just have to have patience with them! D.capensis is usually the fastest to germinate (it can do so in less than one month, though it can of course take longer). There is always the chance that any seed you receive is not viable (i.e. too old to germinate) - but Drosera seeds in most cases lasts longer than many other CP genera. Don't give up! As I said, some may not germinate until spring.

Good luck with your seeds anyway!

Kind regards,

Adam. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast