What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing speed

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    capensis
G

Today, I decided to feed my D. capensis a small centipede. I put it on a leaf, and after about two minutes of squirming around, the leaf began to move( and boy did it move). Even though it was still reatively slow, it moved so fast that I could actually see a noticable difference every second. In about five minutes, the leaf had moved 180 degrees, and that centipede wasn't going anywere!

if you think thats cool, check out Drosera burmanni!
smile.gif

I hear D. burmanni moves fast, I've fed mine many times and have never seen it move
confused.gif
What's going on? How fast does it actually move?

Hi Larry,

you have to touch the tips of long tentacles several times and after stimulation they will bend within 2-3 seconds.

The long outer tentacles :
dr_burmanni02.jpg

Some of my Drosera burmanni :
dr_burmanni01.jpg

Martin

The tentacles on that sundew are really unique looking. By the way, the centipede escaped, and the leaf has unfolded
sad.gif

capey's arent as strong sundews as others, like burmanni, regia, etc. When feeding insects to my capes, i usually feed them injured insects like crushed flys, etc. It sounds cruel, but it helps. The only thing i dont crush for it is like smaller prey: gnats, fruit flies, pin head crixz, etc

Cool! Thanks Martin, I'll try that tonight. I remember fiddling with those long tentacles wondering what their use was, but i didn't notice any movement. But I'll test it again.
smile.gif

Wow, I tried it and it worked. It did require a lot of teasing, but then all of a sudden, them "feelers" moved, cool!

My cape sundew is moving really really sloooooooooooooow . I gave it a small ant 6 hrs ago and so far the leaf has moved very lil it was the shape of a | but now is the shape of a L.

Why are my sundews moving soooo sloooow ? The tank I keep at 75 to 85 f in the day and 65f at night. I just got my sundews about 5 days ago can it be they need to get use to there new spot ?

_-West-_

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nathaniel @ Oct. 14 2002,04:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The tentacles on that sundew are really unique looking.  By the way, the centipede escaped, and the leaf has unfolded
sad.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
you probubly don't want to feed centipeads as a rule anyways, they have some nasty chemicals in them that can burn your plants leaves, or stun your toung if you even have the interest in eating one, lol!
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (west871 @ Oct. 22 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My cape sundew is moving really really sloooooooooooooow . I gave it a small ant 6 hrs ago and so far the leaf has moved very lil it was the shape of a | but now is the shape of a L.

Why are my sundews moving soooo sloooow ? The tank I keep at 75 to 85 f in the day and 65f at night. I just got my sundews about 5 days ago can it be they need to get use to there new spot ?

_-West-_[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
could be, or the ant wasn't stimulating enough. And then, shock could slow them... their are a lot of factors that determin speed. With my VFTs I fined they do best when they have been in a condition type for at least 3 weeks. I'm excited to see how fast I can spruce up my two new babies!

Thanks for the reply Darcie .

I think it is shock from moveing them into a new home and going in the mail .

The plant I have killed the ant and now the leaf is going back to a | shape. Is that what the cape sundew should be doing ?

smile.gif
Its my first sundew so im not sure

Thanks

_-West-_

that happened to my cape sundew when I fed it a large black ant,too
confused.gif
everything, exacly what happened to yours happened to mine. I guess they don't stimulate enough. but I think it also depends on the age of the leaf and age of the plant and if they have a flower stalk or not
biggrin.gif

Hope I could help.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martin @ Oct. 13 2002,04:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Larry,

you have to touch the tips of long tentacles several times and after stimulation they will bend within 2-3 seconds.

The long outer tentacles :
dr_burmanni02.jpg

Some of my Drosera burmanni :
dr_burmanni01.jpg

Martin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
how do you find such awsome plants! that seems to happen to everyone except me
sad.gif

and thats just some of your burmanni? Whew!
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
amazing you got lucky enough to have enough burmanni and enough experience to make them grow like weeds. I love cps that grow like weeds!
biggrin.gif

Even the smallest cape sundews can fold around prey when stimulated enough.

I gave my sundew a flying blood sucker bug that was in my room the other night WOW the whole leaf wraped all around it . Must have liked it alot more then the ant I gave it before .

Back