Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Turn to Crow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

Do you have D. graminifolia or D. montana var. tomentosa?

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tristan,

I am not experienced enough to answer with authority, and have to little material to risk on experimenting. I can say that sessilifolia will grow like this, as I have had success with it under these conditions.

Graomogolensis is less heat sensitive, and possibly montana montana, beyond this I xan't add anything.

Christer,

I am growing one plant each of the species you mention, but if you have any leads to sources of this or any of the other seed, this is what I am most looking for, so that it may be digitally scanned. I have no seed, and no source for it Private message me if you have a source for seed!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

Great news! Best of luck on your project.

As some of you know, I grow many Brazilian and Venezuelan Drosera successfully. I have seen better specimens of some of the species I've got but my methods work for me, with no losses. I find the Venezuelan plants easier than the Brazilians but neither (with only a couple exceptions) are what I consider very difficult with my conditions. However, they are a lot slower growers than some other Drosera. 50F "max" must be a typo. That's more like a good minimum temperature for them. A high of 75F would be great for many but I believe a normal high of 80-85 would be ok for many. There are exceptions. Keep in mind that most plants growing in wet areas are sitting in cold ground water, even when the air in their habitats can get hot.

I find sp. Emas to be the easiest of the Brazilians to grow. It's also one of my personal favorites. This and communis seed in particular are very short-lived, but some of the others are not, unless they have not been stored properly. If you want to see some photos of some of these plants in cultivation, check out my web page: http://www.sundewgrower.com/growlist.html. Some of these photos are really old and plants have grown a lot since, but this will give you an idea. (Gee, this might be a good time to upload some new pics&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Also check out Fernando's fabulous images of plants in habitat (see my links page). If you want additional info on how I grow my plants, check out the rest of my website and Pete Thiels page which includes an interview at http://cpzine.com/article.aspx?cid=3&y=2001&m=8&d=20. Just remember that what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. So, even if you don't think you have suitable conditions for these plants, you might... I have traded and sold quite a few of these so they should theoretically become more common in collections in the future. I've got stuff for trade but my current wishlist is pretty short.

Happy growing!
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt,

If you put up more scans/photos on your page, try to include some details of the scapes and flowers if this is possible? The latest scans were great in that they showed these details which are very important for ID purposes. I especially appreciated the kaieteurensis and graomogolensis!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see some pics when you get them! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12