What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis alba

i recently got a d. capesnsis alba , i know this plant is easy to care for i've taken care of alot of these . the one i got is about 5inchs tall , and i got it for 1 buck butit has red in it , only on the teentecles , the guy that sold it to me said he put it in extreme light so thats how ir turn red or pink from what it looks like . is this natrual , i thought albas were supose to be transparent .

Hi there,

Capensis albas do generally tend to have pink pigmentation in the tentacles only when grown under adequate light conditions.

I'm not sure why this is. Anyone know how a plant that is otherwise completely anthocyanin free comes to have pigmentation in the tentacles? Or is the pigmentation found in tentacles even what is known as anthocyanin?

-noah

Albas will have white flowers as opposed to the typical pink (and I THOUGHT that's what the 'alba' term is in reference to but the experts would have to confirm that). And the tentacles do tend to be a pale pink. My younger plants have looked "transparent" but pink-up with age and good light.

I believe there has been some discussion that the 'alba' is correctly called 'albino'.

Suzanne

My D. capensis 'alba' plants have a ghostly appearance to them. I will try to get a photo for this topic sometime. Mine have never flowered but I am sure they are the true 'albino' form, as they have never had any pink and are in FULL sun.

Back