What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera uniflora

Drosera_uniflora_breaking_dormancy_060603_3!.jpg

Wow, very interesting looking drosera. I havent posted alot here, so this could be a come back post
wink.gif

Very nice drosera tamlin

After finding this plant had been pushed to the back of the fridge where it froze solid, I decided that its dormancy was over right then and there.

This plant is native to Chile, and its growing requirements are quite bizarre.  The plant is a real challenge, and last year had 4 "dormant" periods where growth ceased and the plant vacationed in the fridge.  

Last growing period I fed each trap and removed the prey remains.  At the end of this period the plant produced a tight knot of leaves, much like a hibernacula.

Apparently the colder conditions and diet has improved its vigor, as the traps that are now unfolding are thicker and more robust.  All the traps are unfolding at once, whereas before the growth was sequential.

My hopes are that the plant experienced a true dormancy, and that flowering might not be far off.  I know of only one grower that has ever flowered this species, and it was the person who shared this plant with me, so y'all cross your fingers for me.  Then again, if it does flower I will have the agony of having to decide if I should go for the seed, or cut the flower: the worst part is there is no one to ask, since no one grows it!

Apologies for the large file size.

Zach,

You must have posted the split second this photo came up! Hey, welcome back! How are the plants doing with their recovery?

Hey Tamlin,

The plants are recovering nicely. A few of my prized specimens are infested with aphids (D.regia, macrantha, the such), but i am soacking them occasionally and rubbing the leaves with rubbing alcohol.

I did lose most of my nepenthes, but I still have the best Cp's in the world, DROSERA! The only drosera's that i lost were slackii (i feel just awful, i loved that plant), natalensis, and a few others.

Awesome William! You weren't kidding when you said it was short and stocky! Cool Drosera!
smile.gif

Today a third of the clenched arms opened! Wow! Please flower, oh please oh please............

Hi Tamlin,

may I suggest posting pictures in an "usual" size, which fits on the screen ? (and also is faster to download for modem users like me)

I wish you good luck with that rare species !

Martin

Back