Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. Spatulata dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do Drosera spatulata need dormancy? If so, how do you handle it? Also any general care tips would be appreciated as mine haven't done too well. ( at least until my 11 month old chewed them up and spit them out, now they actually look healthier)

They are in 50-50 peat and perlite and kept in 5 hours direct sunlite. Kept wet, as in flytrap conditions.

Thanks
    Tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera spatulata does not require any dormancy. if you keep it well lighted during the winter, it will grow just fine.

Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that almost all forms of D. spatulata, especially the most commonly cultivated forms, don't experience a dormancy. However, plants of this species from the alpine regions of New Zealand experience freezing temperatures in winter and form a resting bud and this will also occur in cultivation, without such extreme cold. You are unlikely to have this form without being well aware of the fact though.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed a sort of dormancy in the NZ alpine forms from Ahipara and Mt. Ruapehu which do form a sort of resting bud (although not as pronounced as the Northern Temperates) and I have also had D. tokaiensis (D. rotundifolia x D. spatulata) form winter buds. My own D. 'Tamlin' grew well for 2 years, and then died back to the roots. I left the pot be, and it has regenerated with multiple crowns. Interestingly, all these forms except for D. tokaiensis are white flowered forms, which leads me to speculate that this might be a characteristic of plants with a 2N=20 karyotype (a common karyotype for the white flowered forms).
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the D. 'Tamlin' ?
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera 'Tamlin' is my cultivar, published in the UK Society Journal this year. It is a white flowered form from the Queensland area with an odd humping habit, at least in my plants. I am not sure of the trait will be passed on from seed, but I guess time will tell.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known people with odd humping habits. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] I think he meant clumping. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast