Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Byblis

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine gave about 20 seeds per pod when I had it.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byblis liniflora seems to need some assistance in fertilizing its flowers, the most interesting way I've done this was to hold a pot of Byblis in one hand and then touch a vibration source to the pot or hand holding the pot. The vibration causes the pollen to be released and a few weeks later the dark--ripe seed can be seen through the translucent seed pod walls.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Thanks every one for all the replys(i will have to read through hem a couple a time before i can rember all the info but i think i got the jist of it)
    i havn't got my seeds yet but now i am even more exsited than ever
    thanks a bunch evryone
    Oliver
    Oliver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byblis liniflora reaches maturity at an alarming rate. Its seed usually germinate in two weeks, and it is off and flowering by the end of its second month. Ask whoever you are receiving seed from when it was collected. Iíve found old seed to germinate best. If you are getting fresh seed, let it sit around for a few weeks.
    Special treatment is wasted on B. liniflora. Peat and sand mixes work well, but I donít see any reason to bother mixing stuff to create a suitable substrate. Pure, relatively fine silica sand works great, and is nearly identical to the podzol that coats its indigenous habitat (If I remember correctly).
    Donít bother covering the pot for germination. It wonít speed the process, will necessitate a gradual acclimation to your growing environment and could result in a pot covered in damp-off debris.
    I place the pots with their tops four to six inches from florescent tubes. Youíll be hard pressed to give them too much light, and they tolerate quite a lot of heat. They grow nicely sitting in a centimeter or two of water. I usually let the tray dry out fairly often but havenít found any advantages to doing so other than discouraging algal buildup.

-Forbes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12